Getting water from a neighbor - feeding into home question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
Just preparing myself with info if the need ever arises (hopefully not!)

If my well goes out, I can run a hose from the neighbors outdoor spigot to mine right? Open both of 'em and now I've got water.

I'm thinking that I would also have to close the valve on my pressure tank outlet preventing water from trying to go back into it and pressurizing the well.

If all of the outside spigots (frost proof) have backflow preventers built in, this is a no go. Right? What's the work around then?

Thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can't remove the backflow preventer on your outside spigot, you can buy a hose adapter that screws onto most faucets, replacing the faucet aerator. You would need to have the cold side on and have the hot side turned off (to keep cold water from mixing with the hot.)

Yes, you will have to close the main water inlet valve.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
mckeand13 said:
Just preparing myself with info if the need ever arises (hopefully not!)

If my well goes out, I can run a hose from the neighbors outdoor spigot to mine right? Open both of 'em and now I've got water.

I'm thinking that I would also have to close the valve on my pressure tank outlet preventing water from trying to go back into it and pressurizing the well.

If all of the outside spigots (frost proof) have backflow preventers built in, this is a no go. Right? What's the work around then?

Thanks

Not all hose bibs have back flow preventers some only have vacume breakers.
I don't know of any that the back flow portion cant be disabled.

You can buy a new rebuild kit for the hose bib afterward, except for Mansfield.

It is my understanding that they, Mansfield, are no longer making hose bibs and I don't know if they sold the division or just closed it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks