2 pumps to 1 pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ebackhoe

Reaction score
i have 2 pumps one is about 50 ft from house other is 300 ft from house, the one close to house is about 2 gal a min , the other one is about 1/2 gal a min but has plenty of resv. what i am wanting to do is hook both pumps to one pressure tank , but also worried that one well might go dry during heavy visits from company , how can i hook up to where both run but if one goes low on water it will cut off and not burn up pump

ebackhoe

Reaction score
can anyone help me the wirering of both pumps into one tank , is thier a control box that you could put on it and how would it work

R

Rancher

ebackhoe said:
the other one is about 1/2 gal a min but has plenty of resv. what i am wanting to do is hook both pumps to one pressure tank
OK, here goes, ...plenty of reserve? At a 1/2 GPM, that not a reserve, it's a trickle.

Solution is a Storage Tank, aka Cistern, pump either or both wells to a central storage tank and pump from that to your pressure tank.

Rancher

HandyAndy

General Contractor, Farmer
Reaction score
put two pressure switches on the tank and set at different pressures set (lest say the 1/2 gallon unit on the first switch, and if you use more water than the pumps out put, the second pump will kick on,

say the first one set at 40/60 and the second one 30/50 or similar first one will kick on at 40 pounds pressure and off at 60, the second will kick on at 30 and off at 50, so unless your pressure drops below the 40 pounds or the first well can't keep up and the pressure drops below 30 the second will kick on and give you additional water flow,

put a low water shut off on the well that may go dry, http://www.deanbennett.com/bw-lh-systems.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or even better use a large cistern or tank and fill it off of a float system, and then pump out of it with a jet pump for house pressure, (possibly with a low water shut off on the jet pump)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pumps

the first one set at 40/60 and the second one 30/50 or similar first one will kick on at 40 pounds pressure and off at 60, the second will kick on at 30 and off at 50, so unless your pressure drops below the 40 pounds or the first well can't keep up and the pressure drops below 30 the second will kick on and give you additional water flow

That means the smaller well's pump will still run dry. He needs a water level sensor/float to shut the pump off when the water level drops to an unacceptable level.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump set at the highest pressure will run first. If that well pumps dry before the water use is turned off, a low amperage device like the Cycle Sensor can shut the pump off. Either way the water is still being used and the pressure drops and turns on the second well. This well can also be protected by a Cycle Sensor if it runs dry. These Cycle Sensors can be set to restart the pump in however long you decide it takes for the wells to recover, (from 1 to 500 minutes).

I have a system working like this which has about 100 gallons stored in each well, on top of the 4 GPM recovery rate for the wells. Rarely does my second well pump ever come on. The first well with 100 gallons stored and a 3 GPM recovery rate nearly always takes care of 2 houses. Only if I have lots of company is the second well ever used. A 50 PSI Cycle Stop Valve with the 40/60 switch and a 40 PSI CSV with the 30/50 switch makes everything run very smoothly instead of cycling on and off. BTW I only have a single 20 gallon pressure tank with 5 gallons draw down.

Pwmckee

Reaction score
The pump set at the highest pressure will run first. If that well pumps dry before the water use is turned off, a low amperage device like the Cycle Sensor can shut the pump off. Either way the water is still being used and the pressure drops and turns on the second well. This well can also be protected by a Cycle Sensor if it runs dry. These Cycle Sensors can be set to restart the pump in however long you decide it takes for the wells to recover, (from 1 to 500 minutes).

I have a system working like this which has about 100 gallons stored in each well, on top of the 4 GPM recovery rate for the wells. Rarely does my second well pump ever come on. The first well with 100 gallons stored and a 3 GPM recovery rate nearly always takes care of 2 houses. Only if I have lots of company is the second well ever used. A 50 PSI Cycle Stop Valve with the 40/60 switch and a 40 PSI CSV with the 30/50 switch makes everything run very smoothly instead of cycling on and off. BTW I only have a single 20 gallon pressure tank with 5 gallons draw down.
Hi @Valveman could I get a pic or diagram of your system described. Especially interested in use of cycle stop valves to protect dry well situations.

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hi @Valveman could I get a pic or diagram of your system described. Especially interested in use of cycle stop valves to protect dry well situations.

Thanks!
The pipes from both wells just need to be connected somewhere and stagger the pressure settings like 40/60 and 30/50.

Two Subs same system plain (1).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks