Can't find Kohler Tub Part...

Users who are viewing this thread

Backglass

Reaction score
Hey all,

We just moved into a fixer-upper house that has an older Kohler whirlpool tub. The button to turn the whirlpool on/off has rusted out (pics below) and I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. In fact I cant even find any info about this tub in general. It still works great if you stick a small screwdriver/chopstick/etc into the hole. I am assuming it's an airswitch.

Do any of you pros know where I could find a replacement?

I have zero access to that part of the tub which will be a whole new thread...assuming I can find a new switch!

Thanks!

tub1.jpg

tub2.jpg

Backglass

Reaction score
Yes exactly.

I have looked at every tub on the Kohler site, and can't find it. I believe it's an very early model.

I don't know where to go to get this part. :(

Lancaster

Reaction score
I think you are going to have to do whatever is necessary to get at the frame of the unit and locate the model number.Problem is,it may be so old that even when you find out what part is needed,it may well be unavailable.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
air switch??

if that is an air switch , you are probably out
of luck finding the exact match....

call someone that does whirlpool repairs in your area...

they will have something that can replace that switch...

as long as you can get to the back side to do it,

or usualy they will leave the old switch alone and simply
drill another hole somewhere and run a new suction line to the pump....

those fellows have a great time trying to change out
parts on the back side of those jets...

Backglass

Reaction score
Lancaster said:
I think you are going to have to do whatever is necessary to get at the frame of the unit and locate the model number.

Any idea where on the frame the model number is usually located? I have very good access from the faucet side...but haven't seen anything yet.

master plumber mark said:
or usualy they will leave the old switch alone and simply
drill another hole somewhere and run a new suction line to the pump....

I thought about that...knocking it down inside, finding a plug for the hole and then re-wiring to a wall switch or something. I may not have a choice.

Backglass

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
A thought...have you tried calling the MFG?

You know...I hadnt thought of such an obvious answer and just got off the phone with them. Evidently the model number on Kohler whirlpools in on the pump housing, which might as well be miles away from my access panel. They asked that I send them an email with the photo's above and they will research the tub and call me in a few days with a part number!

So far...top notch customer service from Kohler!

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Backglass said:
You know...I hadnt thought of such an obvious answer and just got off the phone with them. Evidently the model number on Kohler whirlpools in on the pump housing, which might as well be miles away from my access panel. They asked that I send them an email with the photo's above and they will research the tub and call me in a few days with a part number!

Chuckling here...thought I was the only one to often miss the completely obvious! (the lil' lady's getting a copy of this one...hehehe)
I usually go to the source...even plumbing suppliers often have no clue about the products they sell.

Backglass

Reaction score
Backglass said:
They asked that I send them an email with the photo's above and they will research the tub and call me in a few days with a part number!

Update: I got a response from Kohler today:

Kohler said:
Mr. Backglass, Thank you for contacting Kohler. I did receive your photos, however we will need the model number of the tub. It is located on a label on the pump. Once we have this information, we can correctly identify the part that you need. Thank you for choosing the Bold Look of Kohler. Becky O.

AGGHHH. I cant GET to the pump & model number and told them that. That is why instead, they suggested I send pictures. :rolleyes:

Hello Right hand! Meet Left Hand! :confused:

This is a one piece tub with no access panel on the pump end. What are my options? Cut a hole in the side of the tub with a Sawzall to get to the pump and put in a plastic access panel?

Last edited:

Backglass

Reaction score
Update: I tapped around and realized that the end panel wasn't as permanent as I thought. Thanks to a little help from my friend "Wonder Bar" I was able to pry away the end panel and (drum roll) exposed the pump and found the model number. K-513 (not the current K-513-H2)

Thats the good news. The bad is the Kohler site states it is a discontinued product with no service info available. I will have to wait until Monday to ring them back and find out for sure.

If they no longer have parts, can I get an air switch from a 3rd party? Or should I just hardwire in a timer switch on an opposing wall somewhere and plug the hole where the air-switch was somehow?

K-513

513.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks