Broken flange, need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

$550camaro

Reaction score
Hello, Im trying to redo my mothers bathroom but I have come into a snag. while cleaning the wax out from the drain, I managed to break the flange areas where the bolts would go for the toilet. Now I bought a repair ring for it but the flange is oval shaped and the ring does not fit on it. I do have the 2 pieces that broke off and the seem to be sturdy ( First time doing this and kinda jumped in to quickly. I actually pried them off thinking that the whole ring would just come off.) Anyways, I dont know what kind of metal it is but can it be bonded back on or is there another kind of repair kit that would work? also the floor is toraza(sp?) so I dont wanna have to break apart the floor.

Any and all help is much apreciated!Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Professional plumbers usually won't even speculate on a job cost that they can not see in person. There are so many variables that can affect the cost of any job. I suspect the reason for that oval flange that the closet bend is too close to the back wall to set the toilet on a straight flange, but that's just a guess. The best thing to do is get local plumbers to give you estimates.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
$550camaro said:
What kind of cost am I looking at have a plumper replace it?

I resemble that remark!
I have a flat rate for flange replacements...they're not usually too complicated...but there are variables. there is a strong possibility the "ring" you got can be used, no way to tell as said above, without seeing it.
Also...those flange repair/replacement rings come in two varieties...solid steele (about $15) and the other cheaper, often hinged or crescent shaped, ones that look like a curved "C" channel...they warp & bend when you tighten the johnny bolts - causing the toilet to be semi-mobile...but they're cheaper.
The "right way to do this is to remove the old flange, which can be a little pricey, depending on who you get, and whether some repiping below is needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks