Hole in Septic Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

scaricatladi

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
I'm closing on the house next door to me on Monday. This afternoon, I decided to cut the front lawn at the house. I basically tripped over a six inch by two inch opening in the lawn. I peered down into it thinking, "Oh crap, that is an open septic tank." I stuck a stick in it to see how full it was. The stick got wet about six inches down. I called the owner and told him about it. He told me it was drained out a few months ago. (I remember seeing the truck) He said instead of digging down to the cap and going in that way, they put a hole in the concrete tank itself and he forgot to put the metal piece over it to keep the dirt out. My question is; Should I tell him he needs to have it drained again? How damaged is the tank now because of these people damaging the tank making a hole? AND...How damaged is the tank now that rain water and dirt have been going down into the tank for the past few months?
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you! :confused:

Raucina

Reaction score
You are buying that broken, open tank? Hello! Most sales around here need a certification inspection for 150$ before closing. NOBODY breaks holes in a septic tank! ever, period. Its probably a buried '68 Buick with a hole in the roof.

Call the health dept and ask them that question. I would be closing after the tank was completely exposed and pumped and certified. Or take a 5000$ discount and do it later.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Raucina said:
Its probably a buried '68 Buick with a hole in the roof.
Lots of dull posts in here about Pumps & Wells & such (!) but this one stands out!

C'mon scaricatladi tell us how this ends!!! :D :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks