Sewage Ejector tripped the breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

estellaheart

Reaction score
We just had a bathroom put in our basement and the sewage ejector never seemed to work correctly. I runs even when we have no water running in the basement (I dont know this may be normal). But about 3 or 4 months ago it tripped the breaker and the breaker will not reset, we are wondering if it is an electrical problem or a problem with the sewage ejector. We tried plugging it to another socket and it tripped that one also put that one did reset.
My question do you think we should replace the pump (it was a cheapo home depot version) or should we check the wiring first? We had a plummer come out and wanted to charge us $900 plus the cost of replacing the pump. Wow.

Sorry this is so long
Angela

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

You did not call a plumber, you called a robber without a mask. Checking the pump should require no more than a hour, or two at the most. But unless the pump is stuck, it appears that you need a new pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Buying that pump where you did gave you about the life that was to be expected. You said:
I runs even when we have no water running in the basement (I dont know this may be normal).

If this is the case, it probably lasted longer than expected. They don't last too long if they are running but have no water to move. They get very hot.

bob...

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
hj said:
You did not call a plumber, you called a robber without a mask. Checking the pump should require no more than a hour, or two at the most. But unless the pump is stuck, it appears that you need a new pump.

I'd have to agree, replacing a sewage pump is a quick job, though a GOOD pump can be pricey, also, you might ask about Zoeller for a pump...they're the most widely used, known for reliability. They come from plumbing suppliers.
The fact that the "cheapo depot" pump runs continually means the float is stuck, IF that had been caught, this problem wouldn't have happened in the first place. (the impellors are probably seized so when you give it power it overloads the circuit....junk)
One last thing....HD sells at least two brands...the cheapo and then the more expensive "Ridgid" brand...IF you have the Ridgid it comes with a lifetime warranty...you might, and I stress the word might, have a free replacement in the waiting.

estellaheart

Reaction score
I thought this was way too much i have gotten great advise on this site and my husband and i are going to buy a better pump with a warrenty and replace it ourselves.

estellaheart

Reaction score
Hot enough to fry our circuit breaker(GFI outlet)? My husband said we are also going to have to replace the circuit breaker before we replace that pump and i want to make sure this second pump does not fry the circuit.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

estellaheart

Reaction score
Thanks grumpy

(the impellors are probably seized so when you give it power it overloads the circuit....junk)

Oh, I see said the blind man. My husband said he kept hitting the reset button on the circuit thinking it would kick on, looks like he may have fried the circuit. He's such a Genius.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
estellaheart said:
(the impellors are probably seized so when you give it power it overloads the circuit....junk)

Oh, I see said the blind man. My husband said he kept hitting the reset button on the circuit thinking it would kick on, looks like he may have fried the circuit. He's such a Genius.

Thanks, I needed the chuckle...Estelle...I might suggest you get other quotes.
A sewage ejector set wrong in the first place couldn't hurt to get the "once over" by someone who knows what to look for...and doesn't need to make $5,000 an hour.
There could be something else causing the initial trouble that can't be easily described online
IF the circuit really is a goner, messing with electrical can be dangerous, also, BEWARE...opening the ejector can be...er...ugly.
Welcome to my life...hehehe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks