Multi-Shower Heads ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

In my master bath I'm going to be rebuilding the shower and I'd like to install a mulit shower head. Two shower heads front and back and one head that will rain down.

I've never done this before and I've got some questions.

What is the best way to do this. Do I cut the water line going up to the 1st shower head and just run it around the wall to additional valves or do I need to get a special master valve with special 2nd and 3rd valves?

Is this installation style recommended for a shower of my size? It is about 6-7' x 4-5'.

Thanks

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's more than one way to do this, but people often put in a 2, 3 or whatever way divertor valve. To ensure proper flow, heads that are on simultaneously generally need to be connected in a loop configuration. The instructions for multi-head systems usually show this. basically, if you just use T's, you probably won't be satisfied as the flow will get less the further from the source you go. A loop evens that out.

Keep in mind that not all valves can supply enough volume for multiple heads. Also, if you supply lines aren't 3/4", you might not be satisfied. A showerhead is limited to 2.5gpm in the USA. Not all heads flow that, some things like body sprays may not be designed for that flow. You need to identify the heads you want, their flow characteristics, and add up the total you want running to pick a valve that will work with it. If you incoming water pressure isn't that great, you may not be satisfied, either. Most showerheads are rated at 60# input pressure; lower pressure=lower volume, less force.

You can really use up a lot of hot water, so make sure you've got a properly designed and sized WH. Consider a thermostatic shower valve since it will keep the tempurature constant until it starts to run out of hot. A normal valve will just constantly start to cool off as you run through the hot water in the tank.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to have to go to the local plumbing supply, (we have a great one here), and get thier recommendation. Yes I have 1/2" lines at the source and no way of changing that since the house is on a slab. Maybe I can get away with one on the face and one that rains down under low pressure.

I looking to add some wow factor to the master bath and that is one of the ideas I had.

Thanks

Tom

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
statjunk said:
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to have to go to the local plumbing supply, (we have a great one here), and get thier recommendation. Yes I have 1/2" lines at the source and no way of changing that since the house is on a slab. Maybe I can get away with one on the face and one that rains down under low pressure.

I looking to add some wow factor to the master bath and that is one of the ideas I had.

Thanks

Tom

Ask them about "dornbracht"

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, Need some help here.

I decided that I will be running 3/4" PEX into the Master bath. So I will have a 3/4" line that I will be able to pull into the Master shower.

Can someone give me the the name and brand of a multi shower head valve that I can purchase on the internet?

Thanks

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nearly any of the rough-in valves will work...what you will also want is a divertor valve to select which head(s) work. I like the stuff from Grohe, but Delta is a solid valve and may be eaiser to get parts for when the time comes. There are others as well. Most of the rough-in valves do not have a divertor built-in. So, you'd run the output of the valve to a divertor, then to the heads. If you want all of them to be one at once, then you may need to plumb them with a loop, or the further one will get less flow than the first. You can often download the instructions which disclose the needed arrangement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks