(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Why can't i use copper?

Hybrid View

Default Why can't i use copper?

Heres the current setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...mbing/tank.jpg

I just bought a 20 gallon (just 2 of us, no sprinklers, very little washing, we use very little water) Flexcon (thanks for the heads up on lesser brands). The current tank is leaking from the valve stem and i'm sick of pumping air back into.

Do i have to use ANY galvanized pipe or can i go 100% copper??? That is if i can get the correct fittings to work. I don't even see a dielectric union in the current setup! I plan on replacing all the current piping cause the threads look a little rusty. I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. Will also be replacing everything with ball valves (current setup has lots of gate valves that don't even turn!). Well is 60ft deep and the certificate i have says it was drilled in 1990, so the well pump is probably that old.

Thanks!

You should purchase a brass tank T and attatch your copper to it.

Where you make the transition from copper over to the galvanized use a brass fitting.

OK. I'll look @ that tonite when i get to a hardware store. I think i've looked @ them but wasn't sure. Thanks.

Steel pipe threads are rusty about an hour after installation. Might not mean anything. Copper is nice but explodes when frozen. Look into PEX or schedule 80 pvc or pvc well drop pipe for an updated hookup

How old is the galvanized supply line running up into the house?

I think about 17 years old if they went in with the well (1990). I used copper/brass throughout. Just finishing up. Am a newbie, so this is trial and error. Biggest thing so far is that plumbers must never have clean hands? or i have more problems then i think!