Rheostat for swamp cooler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A customer has a very old swamp cooler that has a 1 speed fan motor. The switch only has "on"/ "off". The fan blows too hard and he wants a lower speed. If I put in a 2 speed motor, I must need a different kind of switch to operate it, but I'm not sure what kind of switch to get.

Is it possible to just wire in a rheostat so he can have a variable speed fan, and, if so, where would I put it? I don't want the pump to have variable speed. Just the fan.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That motor, probably a simple, so-called universal , motor, will burn up if you try to vary the speed.

You would need to replace it with a multi-speed motor, or a more expensive true variable speed motor with speed controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks