Well test results and brief history

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Brief history: We had well tested two years ago before we bought house, it tested positive for total bacteria and negative for eColi. It was shock chlorinated and re-tested, with both negative results. We have lived there for 2 years and drink the water heavily, never have gotten sick. The well has NO treatment system of any kind. We have been using a brita filter, which I understand is the opposite of what we should be doing. So, we stopped using the brita filter.

Last week, I had the local county health department test my well for bacteria and inorganics. Inorganics results won't be back for a couple more weeks. Bacteria results are back ($50 for each analysis). Well tested positive for total bacteria and negative for e Coli. From what I understand after reading your previous comments, I should install a uv filter. I was also planning on installing a "whole house" filter b/c I know I have iron in excess. So, where should each of these filters go? I.e., which order, one before the other, after welltroll tank or before, between pump and welltroll, etc. etc. I have also heard of an under the sink "point of use" filter the guy from my county office told me about. By the way, nice as this guy was, he has been well sampling for 15 years but had limited knowledge about treatment options. I am on a budget and I anticipate I will be installing these filters myself (and the help of my kind father). So I basically need to know the layout and which brands I choose.
Other house info: Small house, 2 people, one bathroom. Shallow well (60') close to house, pump and welltroll tank under house. Septic tank located less than 100 feet away from well (1965 year built). I also have a question, while I am at it, about my septic tank but i'll post that in the appropriate section. Please know, you guys are very much appreciated!

Raucina

Reaction score
Seems like another option is to keep using the water since it doesnt seem to bother anyone and keep it out of the reach of infants and guests [?] Ask your guests over the past few years if they ever had a stomach ache after your dinner parties...

Check the casing and seal for leaks and periodically chlorinate down the hole...

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Pitcher filters

are there any pitcher filters (like brita) that knock out the bacteria? Instead of installing an expensive uv treatment etc??

Raucina

Reaction score
I think the filter pros will say Brita increases the bacteria counts by any errors in maintenance

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will kill bacteria and viruses if you get a medicine dropper and add about 1/4 to 1/2 milliliter or cubic centimeter of standard non-scented household bleach per gallon of water. You should not ba able to taste the chlorine level of 1/4 ml per gallon.

I don't know if the Brita filter contains activated carbon. Activated carbon removes the chlorine. If the filter does not contain carbon, then chlorine bleach in the water will kill bacteria in the filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks