Fastening shower neo angle shower doors to fiberglass

Users who are viewing this thread

tf

Reaction score
Hello,

What is the best method to fasten neo-angle shower doors to a fiberglass enclosure? The kit came with simple plastic wall anchors. One time-life book said to use molly bolts. The doors are fairly heavy (1/4" saftey glass) so I want it secure. Also, the instructions say to drill and screw the curb piece directly onto the fiberglass pan. That seems like I'm just asking for a leak under the unit.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Neo Challenges

I have not had a problem with the plastic anchors when I have had to use them. It is better to have blocking behind the fiberglass or if you had a stud back there you could use 3" screws.
I have not heard of drilling into the pan to secure the glass framing and I am curious what brand you have that advises this. It is hard to set neo angle walls and keep them from leaking. It is very important to have the pan level and preferably square with the walls.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower door

The top frame gives the door and walls the necessary rigidity, so the anchors are basically just keeping it from shifting against the wall.

tf

Reaction score
Neo Install

It's a Cardinal CD Neo. The Cardinal web page instructions do not mention drilling into the pan. The local distributor have slightly amended instructions that do include a step for drilling into the pan. With the 1/4" glass doors do you think I can skip that step?

By blocking do you mean a piece of wood of any particular length? If I can gain access behind the enclosure, would a galvanized bolt, nut, and washer assembly work?

I've got it square and level, it's replacing an inexpensive neo-angle unit that got cracked by a very heavy bottle of shampoo dropped by my wife.

Thanks!

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
No Drill

I would not drill into the pan, blocking sufficient to cover all three or four holes from the frame and brass or stainless steel is better than galvanized.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks