(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toilet flange is level w/ finished tile floor

Default Toilet flange is level w/ finished tile floor

and not sitting on top of it as it should. Will a normal wax ring fail to seal in this situation (its only 1/4" off), and if so which is the best way to deal w/ this:
    1. Stack 2 wax rings
    2. Use an extra thick wax ring
    3. Use a pvc flange extender

Also, are the wax rings w/ plastic horns bad news?

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeff

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Most of the pros would use two wax rings from what I read. ME, I'd consider that or a waxless ring...they have a horn built in. The combination of wax and a ring can be problematic, and since the plastic doesn't seal well if it slips a little because then the wax can't make the seal, yes, they can be a problem. Probablhy for other reasons as well.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JeffV
    and not sitting on top of it as it should. Will a normal wax ring fail to seal in this situation (its only 1/4" off), and if so which is the best way to deal w/ this:
    1. Stack 2 wax rings
    2. Use an extra thick wax ring
    3. Use a pvc flange extender

Also, are the wax rings w/ plastic horns bad news?

Thanks for any suggestions - Jeff
    For 1/4" I'd just go with the thicker wax ring. If you can feel it squishing down when you seat the base of the toilet, you're in business. If you feel like you've bottomed out, use one of the other techniques you mentioned.

I personally only use the horned wax ring and have never had a leak. If nothing else, they are easier on the next guy, because they generally come off in one piece with minimal scraping. And who doesn't hate scraping that nasty germy wax.