Pump runs great, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

schmol

Reaction score
the pressure on the gauge only goes to 40psi and the pump won't shut off, because it is supposed to go to 60psi. The tank is getting water and has great pressure when I open the faucet.

I have checked the psi in the holding tank and it it at 40psi. I added air to the holding tank until it read 60 psi and the pump shut off.

The problem is, when I use the water and the pressure falls back down to 40, the pump turns on, but the pressure in the tank also falls to 40 and will not climb back to 60. With the tank empty, how much pressure should be in the tank at all times?

Am i being impatient and not letting the water run long enough or should the pressure start building when the faucet is closed. Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I didn't see any.

Wondering

Reaction score
You should only have 38 PSI of air in your tank. If you still have the 60lb in there turn off your power, drain the tank,and let the air out to 38PSI. Maybe this will help.

schmol

Reaction score
prd823 said:
You should only have 38 PSI of air in your tank. If you still have the 60lb in there turn off your power, drain the tank,and let the air out to 38PSI. Maybe this will help.

I've tried that already, I've primed the system 3 times just as the book says, close the pressure regulator and turned on the pump, as the pressure builds to 60 psi, slowly turn the pressure regulator counter clockwise until the pressure becomes stable. The only problem is, when I do this the pressure still only reaches 40 psi and won't go any further.

The psi never reaches the needed 60 psi to turn off the pump, so it keeps running.

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is apparently a deep well jet pump. The reason it only goes to 40 could be many. The backpressure control can only be set correctly if the water is running open on the ground before hooking to the plumbing. Trying to set it under pressure is useless. If your pump only makes 40 psi after all water usage has stopped (including leaks) that is all it can make. Changing air pressure in the tank won't make a bit of difference. It sounds like your stuck at 20/40 for that pump.

bob...

schmol

Reaction score
I should've included that in my first post, it's a Sears 1hp 40/60 convertible jet pump. I have great pressure when I'm using the faucets, but I'd like the pump to shut off. I will have to call for details on how to make it a a 20/40...

Speedbump

Reaction score
You will need to crank the switch back to about 18/38 then keep an eye on the pump so it doesn't keep running when the water level drops.

Just because Sears put a 40/60 sticker on the motor doesn't mean it can actually make 60 lbs under all circumstances.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks