Flush problem found

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
:) This is a followup post to a post I made a few weeks ago about a toilet which was not clearing solid waste. Essentially the waste would spin around in the bowl and not exit. It took 3 or 4 flushes to clear at times.

I carefully observed the flush and spotted an object at the "Blow hole" (for want of a more correct term) where the bowl turns to exit. After a few tries I managed to snag it with a coat hanger wire but could not get it out as it was too large. It appeared to be plastic so I got a diagonal cutter and began to take some nips at it. I finally broke it into pieces and found that it was a threaded plastic nut similar to those used to hold the fill valve in the tank, 1/2 inch NPT with a hex. Apparently someone dropped it in the tank when replacing the fill valve.

This solved the problem entirely. I assume that a jet of water comes out of this hole to assist in the flow to the flange and the nut in the hole disrupted the flow enough that the flow balance was upset.

Thanks to all who offered potential answers.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you very much for posting back on this, and congratulations on your "detective" skills in finding this. This is an example of a case where we would never have figured this out, sight unseen. It just took an observant individual to do the logical things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks