Chrome Sleeve for Angle Valve Flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

BS

Reaction score
My existing angle valve (shut off valve) for my toilet is a bit corroded, especially the chrome plated PIPE (brass?). I know I could heat it and remove it and sweat a new one on, but I'm concerned about two things. One is that the copper stub-out coming out of the wall is curved to form a smooth 90 degree bend (no elbow fitting) so I'm presuming it's flexible copper with which I've never worked before. The other is that a few years ago I had a lot of trouble sweating a new chrome plated angle valve PIPE to another stub-out.

Is there any difference in working (sweating) with flexible copper pipe versus rigid pipe? Do I have to do anything different when sweating a chrome plated PIPE?

Instead of replacing the valve, is there some kind of chrome sleeve I could simply slide over the corroded PIPE?

- Bernie

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can use a tin snips to cut off the corroded escutcheon plate and replace it with a new one that opens and closes using a hinge mechanism that you can install without having to remove the stop valve.

BS

Reaction score
Thanks, Eric. I should have mentioned I have one of those hinged escutcheons. It just occurred to me that I used the wrong term. (My apologies. That's what I get for trying to squeeze in a question to the forum after a long day!). What I'm actually referring to is the 4 to 5 inch long chrome plated pipe behind the stop valve. Are there any sleeves or covers that can go over that?

- Bernie

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I think what your talking about is a "Chrome plated cover tube" it is 1/2" x 3-1/2" and goes over copper pipe.
I know Brasscraft makes one it's a #8489C and the flange your refering to is a "Split Flange".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks