(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California plumbing code question

Default California plumbing code question

Hi,
    I was wondering if someone could tell me if, when making a drain line connection to a 3 compartment sink (commercial application), that 1) ABS is acceptable and 2) that the use of [what I call] no hub connector can be used to connect from the bottom of the sink to the ABS.

I have the latest CPC disk, but I am not a plumber and some of the code is hard to understand. For work, a contractor put this in and I do not think it is correct. Picture attached (if it is allowed).

thank you for any help you could provide.

Kelley

PS. you'll also notice with the pic, that they didn't install any clean-outs. it's kinda scarey what theaes guys are doing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking that is ok

that is a compartment sink.....

the no hub connectors should be ok....
    you dont have to worry about them rotting out anytime soon.
    and they are more sturdy than the cheap plastic that I
    usually see under sinks all the time..

it is dropping into an indirect drain underneath
    the unit....which is code

it apears to have an air gap above the drain
    which is good too....

the actual drain is the square thing sitting directly
    underneath the black pipe ing....

you really have nothing to clean out with such a small run
    down to the main floor drain...

I plumb on another planet!
    An indirect waste for a triple basin?!?
    My state it's ok to connect up to three basins provided they are at least within 31 inches of eachother horizontally, they drain within 6 inches vertically and have a cleanout or removeable trap.
    Also....usually a triple basin is a commercial sink....requires the 1-1/2" drains all connect to a 2" commen drain, then a grease trap after that (getting into the code on those is a whole new ball o wax).

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Here all 3 compartment sinks must drain indirectly.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

My state has adopted the nat'l gas code so far...turns out nothing major was different.
    The plumbing is gonna be a different story

hi all,
    thank you all for your quick replies, however, I really need someone who is familiar with California plumbing code. my concern over the use of ABS and the no hubs is that over time, as people store crap under there or run the mop bucket into it after a few times, the ABS and no hubs will be damaged. And, bottom line, these "contractors" should be following code. period

by the way, if you think that picture was bad, I could really show you some doosies! (had one site where they used silicone to plumb the ABS! not a lick of the proper glue!)

thank you for any help you could provide,
    Kelley

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know what is tougher than ABS, and those nohubs look fine.

I don't think there is a way that would stand more abuse than what you have there.

The California Plumbing Code (2001) based on 2000 UPC is quite broad and uses language to the effect that " material and fittings may be used subject to their approvals". All the material and fittings in your picture are listed by IAPMO, etc. The question is then, are they appropriate in the situation. Generally, ABS is limited to residential construction not more than 2 stories. That is widely stretched, since a 2 story townhouse, over a gargage cut into slope, even with a laundry room and 1/2 bath on the garage level, is routinely done with all ABS. Local implementation of the codes, and local interpretation, will govern. Since this is an indirect waste, not directly connected to the building drain, I suspect many areas would allow this set-up. I never did much commercial building work, so I can't say for sure what an inspector would say about this.

It is true that the no-hubs could be dislodged if knocked pretty good, and the waste arm could be snapped at the wye as well. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the health department frowns on using under the sink for any kind of storage , so is that really an issue? I think you bottom line is this: if it was done with a permit, which is required, and inspected, then you don't really have a beef. If you wanted all cast brass and galvanized fittings, that would have needed to be spelled out and $$quoted beforehand.

Jimbo,
    thnk you very much for your reply. I did read that passage about the residential and 2 story, and I thought - "I must be missing something. why just residential?" It didn't make much sense. and then I would read something that could be construed to include ABS. Very confusing!

on our ground up construction projects, the 3-comp sinks are plumbed in copper using flanges at the sink drain connection. some are direct and some are indirect waste with airgap. it is only on the remodels that I have seen ABS being used. the contractors doing these remodels are not the same as the ones doing full construction and that is why I question if they even know what they are doing. I'm pretty sure that none of them hold a Plumber's license. Probably the only guy that has one is the guy in the office doing take-offs

I can't say that I can really trust the quality of the City inspections for these small upgrades that I am inspecting before I 'inherit' them as part of maintenance. I have found drains that run uphill, ABS put together with silicone, no air gaps at indirect wastes, rubber hose 9o's connections in ground (plumbing a floor sink drain - and in a bind, no less!), copper pipe up against galv electrical flex, etc. I'm no plumber, but most of these things I know as a layman and others were quite clear within CPC.

thanks again for the info to my question.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

If that 3 compartment sink takes on food waste, it should be piped into a grease trap with a vented flow control, 3 vents total heading to the stack.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED
    If that 3 compartment sink takes on food waste, it should be piped into a grease trap with a vented flow control, 3 vents total heading to the stack.

Ditto...2" vents, but in my state a removable trap or cleanout is ok in residences.
    By the way Rugged...waddaya think of my icon?

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Looks fine......that guy was great in grumpy old men...

I'd be fighting mad over sophia lorenz as well if I looked that old and she was that good looking, at that age.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

using plastic in that situation is a fairly common practice. Commercial jobs usually spec out exactly what is to be used. The 2 story limitation is primarily because of its lack of fire rating and the fact it is toxic while burning. It is not allowed underground in multiple story buildings because it will collapse under less pressure than cast iron, although practically speaking will outlast cast iron.

I have seen ABS going in the trenches on an 8 story hospital building. Also see it all the time on the internal roof drains in warehouse buildings/

The only restrictions on ABS and PVC DWV are in sections 701.1.2, 701.1.1.2.1, and 701.1.2.2. (CPC 2001) Otherwise, no restrictions be it commercial or residential.