Flush-Mate toilet at new Motel 6

Users who are viewing this thread

mjnelson99

Reaction score
I recently stayed at a brand new Motel 6 in San Jose, CA.

Their ADA toilets are Flush-Mate with the black "box" in the tank. I did not see a brand on the bowl itself. Inside the tank it said "Made with pride in the USA."

When flushing the water just bubbled a lot with the toilet paper staying in the bowl. At first I thought it was just plugged and the manager brought a plunger that made no difference. We discovered that if the handle was held down until the water finished flowing, the flush was better.

Even holding the handle down when I put in a bit more toilet paper cleaning up a water puddle on the floor, it took 3-4 flushes to get it cleared.

After this experience I would be very reluctant to put in a Flush-Mate toilet.

It is possible they were required to put this type of toilet in.

The plumbers who did the work did not do the best job I have seen. The aerator on the lavy looked like it did not have a washer and water leaked and sprayed over and around the faucet. :(

Terry sounds like he is much more conscientious than the guys who worked on this motel. :)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is usually a manufacturer's name and/or model number printed or molded into the porcelain, on the inside of the tank. It may also be on the bowl.

I have had a Mansfield toilet with Flushmate since 1992 and have been very happy with it.

Sometimes there is a complaint about paper "floaties" because the power flush breaks it up. I do not have that issue, and to me your Motel 6 sounds like the drain is clogged, or the Flushmate is defective.

Today, there are alternatives to the pressure assist, in the form of the large flush valve.....toto Gmax, AmStd Champion and Cadet 3, Eljer Titan, Kohler Cimarron. All of these in general flush probably as well as a pressure assist. I still like the pressure assist myself, but they are pricey, and pricey to repair ( very reliable and long lasting)

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Pressure-assist tanks are basically a storage and delivery system. Any inconsistencies or defects in the actual toilet bowl and any partial obstructions in the trapway, drainline, or vent-stack will most assuredly affect performance and extraction.

Holding down the handle for a "better" flush indicates that there's improper clearance between the actuator cap on top of the flush-valve cartridge which is easily resolved by loosening a set-screw, adjusting the actuator cap to the 1/8" clearance specified in the Flushmate's installation/owner's manual, and tightening the set-screw to maintain the appropriate clearance.

It' likely that the performance you experienced was the combined result of a pre-existing plumbing/fixture problem and a poorly adjusted handle/linkage assembly.

Unfortunately, no toilet can overcome the need for a clear, unobstructed DWV system and no flushing technology can compensate for a defective bowl that may have constricted raceways or excess glaze obstructing rim or jet outlets.

Maybe the next Flushmate you encounter will be a more realistic example of the performance most get from their pressure-assist fixtures.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks