Toilet tank bolt and rubber gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

ac38

Reaction score
Hi,
One of the 3 bolts that hold the toilet tank to the bowl has a occasional slight drip. I see that the rubber gasket under the bolt head is pretty much shot. I want to replace all 3 bolts and rubber gaskets one at a time without taking off the toilet tank. Do you think that this would work without any leaks especially the large gasket where the toilet tank and bowl meet?
Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
nope, water will gush out of the hole once you remove the bolt. Normally, it is fairly easy to prevent that...turn off the water, flush the toilet holding the lever until all that can flow out, does, then take a sponge and get rid of the rest. Then remove and replace with new. If the bolts are brass, they're probably fine and don't need to be replaced, just the rubber washer.

ac38

Reaction score
Thanks Jim for your reply. Would you think that if I only changed the rubber gasket on the one leaky bolt and left the other two that dont leak alone that maybe after I turn on the water one of the other two may begin leaking?
Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It'll only take a few minutes longer to do them all. Likelyhood is they were all installed at the same time, sitting in the same situation, it is likley the others will leak soon, too. The act of loosening them could cause the others to leak, too.

It's best to tighten and loosen them all a little at a time, keeping things even. One other thing to check, while the bolt is out, rub your finger around under where the washer was and see if it is smooth. If it isn't take a piece of sandpaper and lightly smooth things a little, otherwise, that by itself can result in a leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The bolts usually start leaking because the large center gasket is deteriorated and allowing the tank to settle, which loosens the bolts. Replace all the washers AND the large center one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks