(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Main Stack Connection

Default Main Stack Connection

Hi All,

I am doing a large addition with 4 fixtures, toilet, whirlpool tub, walk-in shower and lav. The main stack is 30' away from the farthest fixture (toilet).

I had an outside cleanout, to the main stack, installed before this project started. Indoors, the main stack has a cleanout, that has never been used.

I am wondering if I can put a male 4" connector on the cleanout. Then run up some 4" pvc and put a Y on it. Then connect the new drains into it.

Or should I just cut the 4" main and put PVC and a Y onto it? The cleanout and main stack are next to each other.

Thanks, Mark.

post a diagram. Draw out what else is in the house. Show your vents too.

David

Default cleanout

Whether the cleanout has ever been used or not is not the question. It is a cleanout and as such is not supposed to be used as a connection point, especially if it is a two way cleanout fitting in the main line.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    Whether the cleanout has ever been used or not is not the question. It is a cleanout and as such is not supposed to be used as a connection point, especially if it is a two way cleanout fitting in the main line.

Exactly...unless it's an E.C.O. - you add a new E.C.O. at the end of a wye that extends from the original place of the cleanout...also...remove the old cleanout...you shouldn't put a threaded fitting into it.
    If removing it turns into a nightmare...call a plumber, thats your waste main.