Cast Iron Tubs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I have a 1942-vintage American Standard cast iron bathtub with skirt (60" x 30" x 16"). Its finish is in remarkable shape (especially for a 65-year-old tub) but I want to replace it with another cast iron tub when I redo the rest of the bathroom so that everything looks sparkling new.

So far, I have found the following cast iron tubs (but all are 32" wide):
- American Standard Spectra
- Kohler K-505, K-519, K721, and K-785
- Toto S-FBY1525, S-FBY1715

Questions:

1) Which of these tubs (if any) would you recommend? And why? The most important things to me are that it's durable and that it has a wide sump area (for showering).

2) Does anyone know of any 60" x 30" cast iron tubs on the market?

3) From the brands above (and your suggestions for #1), which would have the thickest, most durable, finish? I have heard that some tubs these days have a super-thin (i.e. terrible) finish but I don't know which brands those would be.

Thanks!
.../j

JCH

Reaction score
hj said:
The Kohler Villager K-715 is 30 1/4".
Thanks! That's great news (assuming I can find one).

I see on the Kohler spec sheet that they list two "recommended accessories":
K-7160-TF Drain
OR
K-11660 Adjustable drain

Any advice on which (if either) to choose? I seem to remember them being recommended here, but I can't find the posting :(

Thanks!
.../j

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Neither get a generic drain from wherever you buy the tub. Any Kohler site can order the tub, just be sure to use the correct number for whichever end the drain goes on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks