Cutting large hole through brick

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwray

Reaction score
I'm installing a range hood in my kitchen with a 7" round exhaust duct to the outside.

The exterior covering on my house is brick. I should also note that this is 1920's vintage brick and the joints, etc. are somewhat fragile. Any method of putting a hold through has to minimize impact that could knock loose more that I want to.

I previously had to put a smaller hole through for a bath fan exhaust. I used a hammer drill and drilled a series of 1/2" holes as close together as possible around the circumference of the hole. I then used a chisel to gently "connect the dots" to finish up the hole. It worked, but was very time consuming.

This method would also work for the 7" hole, but will take a lot longer with a lot more little holes to drill to cover the larger circumference.

Does anyone have a better way? I only have one hole to do, so I don't want to buy an expensive tool to do it. I probably would spend $30-50 to rent/buy a tool if necessary just to make it go faster.

Thanks,

Joel

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could probably rent a coring drill for this. I looks like a big hole saw, but with diamonds rather than teeth. Probably comes with a water attachment, so you'd want to do it from outside. It should make a nice clean, smooth hole, and in brick fast, too. One that will cut that big of a hole would likely be hard to handle, though.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Call a concrete coring company in your area for a quote...
They could have the hole cored in about 5 minutes... (once set up)
We consistantly have our coring sub doing 2" through 16" holes in poured concrete slabs and walls...
No problem....

Richard'sRenu

Reaction score
IF you want a nice clean cut -get a masonry blade for your circ saw at the big box stores (about $20). Set the depth at ½ inch or less and score the bricks around the cut out. This spits out a LOT of dust-so be ready. I usually mark the cut out w/ blue painters tape and WEAR GOGLES. Then cut a center brick out by cutting the mortar w/ the saw-start out first pass at ½ inch or so then cut deeper. Once you are able to get a brick out-just chisel the bricks in toward the removed brick. It's really not that tough.

Richard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks