(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parlez-vous Francais?

Default Parlez-vous Francais?

For some reason, when I click on spell-check in my Outlook Express, it uses a French dictionary. When I go to tools/options/spelling/language the only language listed is French. This just started a few days ago, so I can't spell-check any e-mails unless I write them in French.

The odd thing is, everything else is still in English. I tried downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer, but that didn't help.

I have a nice french keyboard that would go well with that,
    Bonjour, vous avez un problème,

Here is a link to a translator: http://ets.freetranslation.com/
    Might that help any?
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-04-2007 at 11:36 PM.

Rancher

In Outlook (not express) the selection is under Tools, Options, Spelling, you then select which language to use.

Rancher

As I mentioned, the only language listed there is French.

From what I learned, you will need to learn French to reset it. The menu? is it coming up in french? Can you read it and find where it says, English? It would look like this in french: Menu Anglais

You might need to be able to read some of it, to find where it says which language. Or try to recognize, the french spelling of english---anglais.

Tough call here.

Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy
    Everything is in English. But the dictionary outlook express uses to spell-check is in French. So it is saying that every word is mis-spelled. It won't let me change the language back to English. I'll probably just uninstall the program and re-install it again.
    Are you using XP or 2000 for your OS

I used to have similar problems with 2000 but now that I use XP they seem to have stopped.

i remember switching back and forth, among languages for spell checking, back when I used MS products, like Word and O Express. It was easy as pie. But it was years ago. So, from memory, all I can encourage you to do is to go to the top line menus, and scroll across to somewhere around Options or Preferences, and see what comes down in terms of preferences, and explore them. It might not take more than a minute. The other language options are definitely in there; finding them is the challenge. You only have to go two levels deep. Once you know the path it'll be easy as pie, if you ever feel like spell checking another langauge.

david
    p.s. your handle "verdeboy" may have confused the articial intelligence into giving you French as your primary. Call yourself "gruenderKnabe" and it may one day reinitialize in German.
    Last edited by geniescience; 06-06-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Default keyboard

I do not know anytime where my English keyboard would not spell French words, so I would be interested in what kind of keys a French keyboard has.

It is not that it won't spell the words. Here is a link, that will show you a diagram of a french keyboard. Mine is made by Dell. http://gofrance.about.com/cs/interne.../keyboards.htm or this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/kbdfr.htm
    Last edited by Cookie; 06-24-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Default keyboard

I'll stick to the character map rather than have to learn a new keyboard pattern.

It all depends. If you use french alot, it is worth learning the keyboard. If you don't, you don't even have a need for it.

Rancher

Try:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

Did you reciently install Office 2007?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

Rancher

You nailed it.

I recently did install a trial version of Office 2007 right around the time this occurred. I tried contacting Microsoft, but they charge $59.00 to answer any question.

I just installed the freeware OE spellchecker, and it added English to the dropdown menu.

Thanks and merci beaucoup!
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 06-07-2007 at 01:18 PM.