Gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

candbmiller

Reaction score
We had to replace our pump on a 4 in well this week. The pump seems to work but we are not getting any water inside. We think it is becouse the seal isn't lining up with the line going into the building. We have one that is a few feet down, question 1, any sugestions on how to make sure it lines up? question 2. We want to replace the gasket that goes arround the connection to the line inside. I have had some toruble finding this part (I would call it a gasket but it might be called something else). On one website I think they clled the whole part and underground discharge coupling or pitless adapter. I just want to replace the rubber gasket on that part (it seems a little warn.)

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
candbmiller said:
any sugestions on how to make sure it lines up?

My pitless adapter has a spring-loaded cam that pushes the snout into the casing when it is in the proper position, then everything hangs from that connection. If you have something similar, you should have heard and felt it snap into place ... or else your pipe and pump would have gone to the bottom of the well if there is no safety line attached.

candbmiller said:
We want to replace the gasket that goes arround the connection to the line inside ...

I asked my well man about that when he sold me the new pump and he said those seals -- O-rings or whatever they are -- usually last a long time and to simply apply some Vaseline before latching things back into place. But, I assume any well driller could either sell you a new seal or tell you where to find one.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes it is an o-ring but... Vaseline is a petroleum product and that deteriorates rubber/rubber like materials over time. You should use silicone for potable water use only, or simple clean water.

I've hung a dove tail type pitless on the female dove tail piece on the casing without getting the two parts together correctly (the piece on the drop pipe didn't go into the one on the casing). As soon as my wife flipped the breaker I heard and saw water spray in and out of the top of the casing and down the well goes the excess pump cable which stopped the pump from ending up on the bottom of the well.

So you may not have the pitless together correctly instead of needing a new o-ring; which are usually proprietary to the make and model of o-ring you have. Although, NAPA may be able to closely match or make you a new o-ring if you take the old part with the o-ring in it to them.

When the pump runs, do you hear water spraying in the well?

candbmiller

Reaction score
Yes we hear swirling and other noises when we turn the pump on. It is such a tight fit when we put the pitless adapter down in the well it doesn't drop past but we do have a safety rope on it also.

candbmiller

Reaction score
I belive the last we worked on it, the pitless adapter is below the water level so very hard to tell what is going on.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
instead of a bright light, use a mirror. for this type of inspection an mirror is the best light source.

most of these pitless units have an o ring. the o ring can get old and crack. it gets dry.

it can also slip during installation and get pinched. then it will not seal and it gets cut. when it is cut it is no good. do not use a petroleum product on the rubber. dish soap works as a good lubrication if you don't actually have a proper nsf pipe lube.

if you have a wall hanger type pitless adapter the o ring may have fallen off the adapter while you were lowering it in. there a re special glues made by 3M for holding o rings in place.

it sounds to me like you need an new o ring, some lube, and a mirror. go to your well driller, he should be able to help you out.

are there any indications as to who manufactures the pitless unit or pitless adapter that you have?

R

Rancher

candbmiller said:
I belive the last we worked on it, the pitless adapter is below the water level so very hard to tell what is going on.
The pitless adapter should be just below the frost level, so it should not be under water.

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have worked on hundreds of wells where the pitless adapters are under water. There is nothing abnormal about that.

SAM

R

Rancher

sammyhydro11 said:
I have worked on hundreds of wells where the pitless adapters are under water. There is nothing abnormal about that.
Sammy, I'm sure you're right.

Rancher

R

Rancher

Aren't pitless adapters usually placed at just below the freeze level for the area you live in? That would put the pitless at a min of 4' and probably no more than 10'. That's a pretty high water level.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks