Why should dishwasher drain go to disposal inlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

dayster

Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

In a double sink situation where 1 sink has a garbage disposal, I have seen it stated that the dishwasher drain "must" be hooked into the inlet on the disposal provided for this purpose. Rather than to the other sink tailpiece.

Any reason why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
dayster said:
In a double sink situation where 1 sink has a garbage disposal, I have seen it stated that the dishwasher drain "must" be hooked into the inlet on the disposal provided for this purpose. Rather than to the other sink tailpiece.

Any reason why?

The benefit is worthwhile as the periodic use of the dishwasher helps to keep that grinding chamber free moving, along with the benefit of the sound dampening rubber diaphragm. Installing into a tapped tailpiece will produce a louder sound when the dishwasher is operating.

Those who know safety, use Air Gaps to that dishwasher.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

One benefit is that any food particles washed out of the dishwasher will be ground up by the disposer instead of going full sized down the drain. But otherwise you can run it to either spot.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
dayster said:
sink_dw.jpg

Any reason why?

Food particals and grease...better to have them discharge into a disposal than a plain tailpiece when available....sorry "rugged" fella, I forgot...be sure to put a cleanout thingy there too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks