delayed action

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
The items in the control box either work or they don't. They don't act intermittantly. What makes you think the pump isn't running when the switch points close?

bob...

millsrj

Reaction score
The items in the control box either work or they don't. They don't act intermittantly. What makes you think the pump isn't running when the switch points close?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks Bob

the pump is only 2 feet away, I can feel the vibration when it kicks on.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Then there is something missing. If the points close on a brand new switch and the motor does not kick on right away I have to assume there is electricity going to the motor. If it takes a minute or so to come on the thermal overload could have been tripped, but that would be too big a coincidence to believe. You've got me.

bob...

millsrj

Reaction score
Hi, I have a submersable pump down at the lake that feeds my outdoor watering needs. I recently replaced the pressure switch and guage. The switch is 30/50 but I have it up around 60/40. I pumped 28lbs of air into the tank.

When running the water, the pressure switch seems to be doing it's job. It comes on, the pump works until 60, then cuts out. The pressure drops during use, and at 40 the switch clicks on again. However, the pressure continues to drop to around 25 when the pump finally starts to work again.

Will draining the system and putting 38lbs of air in the tank solve this problem, or could it be the controller?

thanks

Rob

R

Rancher

millsrj said:
Will draining the system and putting 38lbs of air in the tank solve this problem, or could it be the controller?
Controller? Is this a 3 wire pump? When the switch clicks on at 40, does the pump start?

Rancher

millsrj

Reaction score
no, you hear the switch click, then the pump sits idle until around 25lbs. When it jumps to life and pumps up to 60

not sure on 3 wire. The controller box has a big capacitor in it, 240v comes from breaker.

thanks for the reply

R

Rancher

Try tapping the pressure switch enclosure when it clicks on at 40. If that works you either need to clean the switch contacts, or buy a new switch. If that doesn't work then it might be something in the controller box, yes you have a 3 wire pump.

Rancher

millsrj

Reaction score
I pulled up the pump after it had run and the bottom was quite warm, not hot, but warm.

R

Rancher

That's normal, did you try cycling the switch while you had the pump pulled?

Rancher

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That's only "normal" IF you ran the pump long enough to get it hot and then cool off in the water to "warm" when you felt it after getting it out of the water. Rancher doesn't know this stuff but chimes in as if he does...

How long had the pump run before you pulled it to feel it warm?

Is the pump hung in the water, laid in the water, how much water is it in? Is it moving water or not?

As Speedbump said, unless the thermal overload is opening and shutting off the pump, there is a real odd and rare situation that is preventing the motor from getting power instantly (at the speed of light actually) as the switch contacts close. OR....

You aren't describing the situation correctly. OR... there is a loose wire connection, or pigtail splice, that doesn't make contact properly until it gets hot and closes enough for power to flow through it.

You have how many wires leaving the pressure switch to the control box? In that order, right?

You have how many wires leaving the control box to the pump? In that order, right? Breaker, switch, control box, pump. Right?

Yes you need 39-38 psi air pressure in the pressure tank with no water in the tank when you check the pressure.

millsrj

Reaction score
pump had run for about 3 minutes, it stands upright on the bottom. Yes it seems to be pumping ample amounts of water.

From the pump - to the controller: bl/wh/ground
from the Pressure switch to the controller: bl/wh/ground
from the pressure switch to the breaker: bl/wh/ground

could it be the wiring on the switch. When I put in the new switch I knew that both blacks were on the left, and both whites were on the right, but I wasn't sure of the order (ie. controller black-breaker black, controller white-breaker white)

Speedbump

Reaction score
the pump is only 2 feet away, I can feel the vibration when it kicks on.

I have a submersable pump down at the lake that feeds my outdoor watering needs.

Ok now which is it? If the pump is in the lake, how can it only be two feet away from the switch?

Your not telling us something that is important and that makes it very difficult to understand what's going on.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ok, so the pump, pressure switch, control box and you are at the lakes edge. Is that right?

From the pump - to the controller: bl/wh/ground
from the Pressure switch to the controller: bl/wh/ground
from the pressure switch to the breaker: bl/wh/ground
I think you said this is a three wire pump. If so, you need one more wire. And from the pump to the controller, the wire colors should be black, yellow, red and green (four wires not three). Are you sure it isn't a two wire pump and the controller is something other than a control box?

How about a picture of this setup?

bob...

millsrj

Reaction score
I'll take a picture tonight when I get home. I didn't say it was three wire, Rancher did.

thanks for all your help

Speedbump

Reaction score
Boy, that Rancher sure can be a lot of trouble, can't he? Oh well, he's trying to learn but it's hard to teach an old Engineer new tricks.

bob...

R

Rancher

Yes Bob I did...

Control Box = 3 wire pump

Because a 2 wire pump has all the starting stuff in the pump.

So... Millsrj, what is in this Control box?

It still could be a 3 wire pump, wired up by a pump guy without a saftey ground, and then connected to an insulated cable inside the well.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first time I've seen the green wire used for something other than what it was intended Rancher. Just don't grab the green wire!

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks