pressure switch bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Patra

Reaction score
I have a pressure switch that was set 40/60. Recently I noticed the pump was running for a long time each cycle. I just watched the pressure gauge and the pump now doesn't cut on till 30 psi and then it runs up to 50 psi fairly quickly but then continues to run and run and run till the pressure is 55psi.

I have a captive air tank also on this system set to 40 psi .

Thanks,
Patra

Last edited:
R

Rancher

Patra said:
I have a pressure switch that was set 40/60. Recently I noticed the pump was running for a long time each cycle. I just watched the pressure gauge and the pump now doesn't cut on till 30 psi and then it runs up to 50 psi fairly quickly but then continues to run and run and run till the pressure is 55psi.

I have a captive air tank also on this system set to 40 psi .
If your captive air tank (bladder?) is set for 40 and the switch doesn't cut on untill 30, and you haven't run out of water... then the gauge is bad.

Rancher

Patra

Reaction score
Rancher said:
If your captive air tank (bladder?) is set for 40 and the switch doesn't cut on untill 30, and you haven't run out of water... then the gauge is bad.

Rancher

Okay lets say the gauge is bad. That doesn't explain why the pump is running so long till it finally cuts off.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You may have a water level that has dropped due to lack of rain. You could have a well problem such as a plugged screen which would explain the slowness.

bob...

Patra

Reaction score
speedbump said:
You may have a water level that has dropped due to lack of rain. You could have a well problem such as a plugged screen which would explain the slowness.

bob...

humm we have had tons of rain and I hope it's not anything with the well.

Before when I have had to work on the system and then tested it by turning on a faucet, the pump would cycle on at 40 and off at 60, no sweat. That's a 20 psi difference. Now it is cutting on at 30 and once it gets above 50 it runs forever till it cuts off at around 55. This is a diff of 25 psi. Could that be why its struggling and should I try to adjust the cut out on the pressure switch?

on top of that I just poked my head in the pump house and wasps flew out and stung me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
I just poked my head in the pump house and wasps flew out and stung me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the hazards of the trade!

You should start out with a new gauge then get back to us with the real pressures. If it used to make 60 and now it won't, it's either the pump or the well.

bob...

Patra

Reaction score
speedbump said:
One of the hazards of the trade!

You should start out with a new gauge then get back to us with the real pressures. If it used to make 60 and now it won't, it's either the pump or the well.

bob...

I think it is the pressure switch. Three times in a row now I have gotten the switch to cut off by tapping it with a screw driver. I sprayed it (not the contacts) with wd40 but that didn't make a difference. Should I take it apart or just replace it? and how do I replace it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks