fuuny pipe or larger diameter risers-does it matter

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMich177

Reaction score
I am installing a irrigation system and am wondering if I can use funny pipe connections on 3/4" rotor heads or should I be using a larger diameter riser such as a swing joint or straight cut off riser? Will the riser diameter significantly affect the pressure/flow to the rotor?

Some sites/threads I have read recommended only using funny pipe on 1/2" rotors or sprays.

Also should you mix and match different types of risers in a single zone or would it be better to stick with the same diameter risers on all the heads?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use 1/2" funny pipe to connect all of my sprinklers. It's much easier to set the sprinklers at the right depth and to adjust them later if/when necessary. Less likely to break pipes if you step or drive on them too. You'll get plenty of flow to your sprinklers.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Funny pipe is small, but I think a short section is still adequate for 1 head, even a 3/4 inlet rotor. The GPM of that rotor is probably not so high that the short piece of funny pipe would affect you much.

Kiril

Reaction score
I use the right sized swing joint for the sprinkler on all my systems, unless for some reason funny pipe is the only thing that will work. If your sprinkler has a 3/4" connection (like a PGP rotorary), then use 3/4" pipe with a 3/4" swing riser.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
I would say it really depends on what nozzles you are installing into the heads in question.

Most quality rotor heads have a 3/4" inlet. If you are running a high capacity nozzle like 8 + Gallons per Minute, then I would recommend a 3/4 inch riser or 1/2 inch pipe swing joint. If you are 6 GPM or below, the carrying capacity of the funny pipe will not effect the head at all.

I also reccommend as above using funny pipe on most if not all of your head installations. It will make repairs and maintenance so much easier in the future should you decide to move a head because of landscaping changes, or adding even an additional head to the zone. If you zone has the capacity, you should be able to run multiple heads on one section of funny pipe if need be, as long as you stay below the total capacity of the funny pipe output.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks