pressure tanks plastic metal?

Users who are viewing this thread

kodiak

Reaction score
Are the plastic type pressure tanks better than metal?What is the average life on tanks and are they all in the same ballpark?I have a welltroll wx-202 20 gal that is probably shot its about 8 yrs old.Sears has simer and tractor supply has dri something,grainger has dayton in the catalog,on **** they have a plastic one so does grainger its a dayton too.What would a 35 gal tank do for me compared to a 20?Is it all about pump cycles or does the pressure last longer with a bigger tank? thanks for any info steve.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
kodiak said:
Are the plastic type pressure tanks better than metal?What is the average life on tanks and are they all in the same ballpark?I have a welltroll wx-202 20 gal that is probably shot its about 8 yrs old.Sears has simer and tractor supply has dri something,grainger has dayton in the catalog,on **** they have a plastic one so does grainger its a dayton too.What would a 35 gal tank do for me compared to a 20?Is it all about pump cycles or does the pressure last longer with a bigger tank? thanks for any info steve.

The drawdown of a tank is about 30% of the volume of the tank for a pressure switch setting of 30 to 50 psi. Pressure will drop more slowly with a larger tank.

The drawdown should be at least eaqual to the GPM capacity of the pump for small pump (Maybe up to 1 HP) and 2 minutes for larger pumps. That means that for a small pump the actual volume of the tank should be about 3 times the GPM rating of the pump.

"Plastic" tanks are usually fiberglass reinforced plastic. The life-limiting element of most tanks is the bladder, although I have seen some painted steel tanks rust out at a weld before the bladder fails. I have never heard of a fiberglass reinforced vessel failing before the bladder fails.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't care for the bladder in the Fiberglas tanks. They are inferior compared to the two top of the line Manufacturers; Well-X-Trol and Flexcon.

All the places you mentioned where you are shopping sell the inferior tank brands as they are cheaper. Whether they are metal or plastic.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks