Concrete Spalling

Users who are viewing this thread

ttw4454

Reaction score
I have a section of concrete in my drive that has some significant spalling. Less than 2 yrs old and contractor or cement company won't cover it. Has anyone had any experience in using concrete resurfacing products. I.E. Quikcrete Concrete Resurfacer? Do these products eventually look as bad as the original spalling (assuming it is applied correctly). Thanks

ttw4454

Reaction score
We are in Michigan and I did not put any salt down on the slab. I didn't even park on the area that is in question so it couldn't be road salt either. I don't know why it flaked so badly but now I want to either patch the area or resurface the area. Either way it will not blend in with the other parts of the slab. I did not seal this yet and plan to do this this summer. Do you recommend any cement sealer? Thanks,

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here's a couple possible reasons:

If they poured in cold weather, they should of covered it by the second and definitely the third day from freezing. The first day concrete is poured it generates it's own heat.

If they poured in warm weather........most likely in all cases.....they added water to the surface or raised the slump to put it down easier and didn't work the finish down enough. This will cause it to do what you are stating.

Concrete companies will never take the blame for bad concrete....it's always somebody elses fault to them.

3 rules of concrete

Turns white
Gets hard
Cracks

I would tear it out and replace it or have someone come in and add a stamp texture to it......starting at $10-30/square foot. :eek:

They use epoxy and it stays permanent. Any of those magic in a bottle items usually don't hold for long.......especially in climates where you are at subjected to road salt on occaision. Just driving the roads and the car sitting on those pads is enough to cause salt damage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks