Question on adjusting a pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Alexdc99

Reaction score
My Sister has a Home Depot Diamond shallow Jet pump and would like me to adjust the pressure higher. I checked the bladder tank ans it set to 18psi, so I imagine the pressure switch is set to 20/40. How do I know how many turns on the switch to increase it to 30/50 or 40/60?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that you would also need to increase the pressure in the tank's air bladder. If I remember correctly, it should be a couple of pounds less than the low pressure turn on point.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I find 20-40 to be an intolerable pressure and unless there is some question of the ability of the pump to handle the higher pressure, I believe that 30-50 is the lowest pressure you can take a half-way decent shower with and 40/60 is better. I have a 40-60 on my system.
I think that it is a good idea to either check that the pressure the gauge is reading is correct or install a new gauge. The air in the tank should be 2lbs less than the kick on pressure for the pump and adjusted when the tank is completely drained of water. So put the air pressure in the tank to correspond to the kick on pressure you want to end up with, connect a hose to the drain at the pressure tank, adjust the pressure switch, open the drain to run water and note the pressure that the pump kicks on, adjust, drain, and check kick on pressure until it is 2 lbs over what you put in the tank. There is also no set run that you need to adjust to 30/50 or 40/60--you could have 35/55--it is just recommended that you maintain a 20 lb differential between on and off.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks