Air in water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Marilyn K

Reaction score
Air shoots out of my bathroom faucet and shower head, mostly on the hot side but sometimes on the cold side. We do not have well water. Any ideas.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it a deep well or shallow.

Is it a submersible pump or is the pump above ground.

Prashster

Reaction score
Thought she said she does NOT have a well.

Was work recently done on yr pipes?

Does the air stop after the respective tap is in on for a while (minute)?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I read it to fast......your right prashster.

It could be air entering the water service from work being done on the street some where, then finding its way to your house.

Marilyn K

Reaction score
Air in water line--no well

I do not have a well. It is city water. The air continues to shoot out even after the water has been on for a while. Nothing has been done to my pipes. It is only one faucet and one shower head in the house. The others are fine. In March I had a new water heater installed with a recirculating pump. Any other ideas.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have an air leak in the recirculation line? Maybe the pump and piping is not sized well, and the pump is pulling air from a faucet while running through a less than ideal washer. Might not leak water, but under vacuum, could allow air in. Try turning the pump off and see what happens.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You replied with a private message. This does nothing to help others learn and comment. You indicated if you turn off the recirculation pump, you don't get water at the furthest location...I can see a really long time to get hot water, but if it truely stops water from getting there, you have a bigger problem.

As to whether just turning the pump off will hurt anything...no, it should not do anything except lengthen the time to get hot water at the end of your line.

Marilyn K

Reaction score
Air in water line--no well

Thank you Jadnashua. I am new to this site and did not realize that I should not reply directly to you.

The hot water will get to the farthest point, it just takes a while. I am thinking that if I unplug the recirculating pump, that might eliminate the air in the line?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Okay, that's more logical. The whole reason for the recirculation pump is to minimize the time it takes to get hot water to those furthest fixtures. Unplugging or turning off the pump, other than the time to get hot water, should not cause any other problems. Try it and see if you still get the air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks