Sharing water via garden hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
My neighbor had a pipe burst and her water is shut off for at least a few days. A plumber told her that it is possible to share our water with her by coupling our 2 garden hoses together? He said if we couple them, and we leave our hose turned on, and she totally shuts all her shutoff valves, she will be able to have enough water pressure in her pipes to flush the toilet and wash her hands in the sink. I'd never heard of this. Is it possible, and what are the pros/cons and precautions?
Thanks
Donk

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Pressure would cause the water to leak out the burst pipe unless it is isolated...
The water would have to be deemed non-potable - running through 2 garden hoses...
After her water is fixed, she would be advised to sterilize her pipes to make sure any contaminants that got in through the hoses did not pollute her water supply...
All in all, a bad idea IMHO...
She can flush with a bucket of water drawn from your hose, but I would not tie her water system into yours...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Not to mention local codes that may be violated by sharing water supply through two separate buildings that are not on the same property or with a single owner.

R

Rancher

donk said:
Is it possible, and what are the pros/cons and precautions?
Is it possible, yes it's done all the time. Running water thru hoses, makes it non-potable... yes probably, but remember as kids we drank out of the hose all the time, we're still ok. Against codes... again probably, but this neighbor is out of water, shes going to get pretty smelly after a few days.

I say yes do it, you may need to ask her for water sometime in the future, and if you have a back flow device on your hose bib, then you're safe, I'm assuming she doesn't if the plumber told her to do it. You just need a female to female connector, the hardware store, or even HD may carry it.

Rancher

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Rancher said:
Running water thru hoses, makes it non-potable... yes probably ...

Not if a potable-water hose is used. RVers use them all the time, and they are readily available just about anywhere. They are usually white, and the packaging will clearly say something like "for potable water use". The actual flow your neighbor might get will be greatly dependent upon the size and length of the hose, and the water will likely be rather warm when it gets there (after laying out in the sun), but for a very-temporay purpose she will be far better off than if having to carry a bucket down to the creek and back several times a day.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
another good reason to get along with the neighbor

we tell people to do this all the time....

its ok for a while

if the well goes out, it saves being under the

gun to decide on a well person to make reapirs.....

you have enough pressure to survive a few days till

you can get a couple of estimates.....instead of

takeing the first fellow that comes out .......

donk

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for all the input. I connected the 2 hose bibs and water is flowing. She's in the process of getting estimates, and now she can at least use the toilet and wash herself off a bit. I appreciate all the info...
Donk

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Even though this is temporary, I would support the recommendation to get potable-rated hoses. You would of course find them at RV and boat dealers, but HD usually also carries one. It is not the cheapy, but their price will be much lower than the RV store. Why take a chance on everyone's health when under $50 probably will make it right?

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
just got done with a city street water main replacement project. we had eight city blocks being fed water from the hose bibs. we had to turn off the curb stops or valves at the meter. you will need to find a valve that will turn off where the burst pipe is.

watch out if you have a woodford anti-siphon facet as you will need to take it apart to get the check valve out of it to make it work.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I had to do it once for a customer.
Young couple with a small child back from vaca and the boiler was toast...water / pipes burst all over...we prioritized isolating one bathroom and their neighbor ok's their using a hose just so they could use the bath...they knew not to use it for potable though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks