Proper termination of unused circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
I am removing a whole house fan since we have air conditioning and never use the fan. The opening and louvres, although insulated, are letting too much heat and cold transfer and it looks ugly in our main hallway.
What is the proper method to disable the current electrical feed to the fan and to the switch/speed control in the hallway. I am assuming the main feed goes to the fan first and then the speed control wiring comes from the main fan area down to the speed control although I haven't been up there yet.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
trace the circuit backwards to the point at which it branches to the fan and switch.
if the circuit doesn't continue on beyond the fan and switch, then undo the hot and neutral wires that branch to the fan and switch and leave them capped in the box.
if there's more stuff past the fan and switch, then just take the switch out of the circuit (cap the hot switch feed in the switch outlet box).
and always turn off the breaker before you start.
note - i'm not an electrician.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the box cover or box itself ends up with a hole where there was a wire that you removed the hole needs to be covered / plugged properly.

Jeff1

Reaction score
Why remove it?

I have both A/C and a whole house fan and they complement each other very well. It has saved some $$ going to SCE. If it aint broke...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks