Hello

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all, I hope that I can be a benefit to this forum and will do all I can to assist anyone in any way possible.

Let's all remember
Safety first
Safety last
Safety always

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Hello jwelectric

On this forum only members can leave a post. guests can look all they want so mabe you have had 112 guests view this, don't take it personal.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
With all the shenanigans that have been going in in the electrical forum lately, people are going to be a bit leery of newcomers who claim to be electrical experts.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
that was fair, Eric.

I hesitated before coming in to welcome MW, because I didn't want to discuss the big white elephant in the living room but I also didn't want to avoid that subject.

Mike, can I ask you with a friendly smile in my voice, what you know best, what you know better than most of the people you associate with, what codes you know of and how well you know them? If you answer as though it's perfectly normal to be asked this, you'll not only use an opportuntiy to talk about yourself in response to a direct request, but you'll also help make it normal and acceptable for new folk to say this much about themselves when they want to introduce themselves. The first time I asked this, I wondered later if some readers thought it was rough. Maybe it is.

David

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hello,
It's good to have you here.
I'm hoping I can learn more about electrical from your posts.
I can do a little around my place, but leave the hard stuff, and the stuff in other peoples homes to the licensed guys.
I have a few referrals that I give out in the Seattle area when people ask.
Still, for simple stuff around the home, it feels a bit like plumbing to me.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
geniescience said:
Mike, can I ask you with a friendly smile in my voice, what you know best, what you know better than most of the people you associate with, what codes you know of and how well you know them? David

A little about Mike;

I have been in the electrical field for 38 years. Ten years into the trade I decided to go back to school and took a two year course at the local community college studying theory as well as the NEC.

Over the years I have worked in many aspects of the electrical trade doing industrial, commercial, multifamily and single family dwellings. For the last few years I have only done single family dwellings and service work locally in my area.

In 2000 I started teaching part time at a community college in a neighboring county and in 2001 I started teaching part time in my own county.
Here in Randolph County I teach continuing education classes for electrical contractors, electrical inspectors, basic wiring (theory), residential/light commercial wiring and Code Prep. I also teach all three levels of the Standard Electrical Inspector’s class that are mandated by the state of North Carolina. See page 8 of this link
I am a member of a couple of committees for the Code Officials Qualification Board at the Department of Insurance Office of the State Fire Marshall one of which I sit as a Veteran Instructor for the certification of upcoming instructors.

I am also a member of the NC Ellis Cannady Chapter of IAEI where I sit on the Education Committee. Go to this link and click on committees and look under the Education Committee

At present I am seeking employment with an inspection department as a code enforcement official. The department that I am talking with at the present time requires that their inspectors cross train in building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical.

By going to this site you will see the requirements for code enforcement officials in the state of North Carolina. It is my next goal to obtain a Level I certificate in all four of the building trades.

I hope this answers you question. If you desire more I will be happy to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

snafflekid

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Hello jwelectric!

I am an EE, with code specific questions, other than basic stuff like wire gauge, bonding etc., I'm not much help. But I have practical experience with home wiring in addition to the degree, so I'm not completely useless :)

J.Buesking

Reaction score
Im with terry. I can do basic wiring put the difficult stuff I hire an electrician.

Becareful with Mike. If Joe Tedesco was Batman Mike would be Robin.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
After looking at those electrical code books all day, I can see how you'd need to break out once in a while and do something crazy. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks