shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

drjch

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house built in 1935 that had very little maintaining. I had to tear out the downstairs bathroom to repair the support joist that had rotted out because of the shower leaks. I have brought 2 tile guys in to build a shower pan and retile but both tell me it can't be done. Heres the problem. It is an old plaster walled house that does not have studs on the outside walls. Therefore they tell me they cant install the liner membrane as they have no studs to attach it to. I have looked all over the internet for a fiberglass pan but nothing comes close to my size, 51 X 36. Is there a way to build a shower pan by maybe gluing the liner to the 2 outside walls? I need help. Thanks for those that reply.
JCH

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What are the walls made of? You could always furr out the wall with some 2X or 1X. I have to believe there is a way to do this. Some pictures will help. And your best resource for this particular project is our friends at this tile forum: www.johnbridgel.com

drjch

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. This outer walls of this house was built with those old fire brick looking blocks. The regular bricks are cemented to these blocks on the outside. On the inside it looks like it was a plaster type/cement with the wire mesh in it that was applied directly to the fire brick. then the tile was glued on top of that. When I took out the shower, it was constructed of cement, but had no liner. The reason that I cant use a 60 X 36 is that my walls can't be altered because two of the walls are exterior walls. I thought about using ultraset and making my own linger then doing the bed on top of that but I just don't know if that will last.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to use the existing exterior walls as a base (although, with no insulation, YOu might want to consider a wall) and use Kerdi directly on it from www.schluter.com or you could put up Wedi board (which is a foam board with a special concrete on each side) which would add insulation and be able to be glued to the existing walls. Both of these are waterproof and tiled. Wedi has preformed pans that are modular and can be cut to size (within reason) that are tileable. Kerdi's preformed pans are also trimmable, but aren't as flexible...but, you can use membrane over a single custom sloped mudbed. Either of these methods can make a totally waterproof shower. Wedi and Kerdi are both European systems, accepted by US codes (at least the national ones), and have been around for quite awhile. Wedi isn't as well established in the US. They have a US website, but I usually look starting from this one www.wedi.de. If you can't find the stuff locally, both of them can be purchased and shippped...the components are light.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks