Leaking G-Max or Power Gravity Fill Valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go to Lowes or a good hardware or plumbing supply house and pick up some cap replacements at about $2 each. If you're lucky, you can just clean the filter, but it's more likely the seal in the cap is worn. This assumes you have the Korky valve made for Toto (it doesn't have a big plastic screw on the top). No tools, and it should be as good as new for another 6-years or so (it all depends on your local water).

srucker

Reaction score
Drip from the refill tube -- help needed

I have Toto Drake toilets in our home -- they are about a year-and-a-half old. Recently two of them have had drips. Water is dripping out of the refill tube into the overflow pipe at a pace of approximately one drip per second. It doesn't happen all of the time (sometimes it will stop after being flushed) and I can stop the drip (at least temporarily) by pushing down on the filler float. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Assuming you have the Korky version of the valve made for Toto, the seal is an easily replaceable part which costs about $2. Takes about 30-seconds to do, maybe longer the first time you do it.

Sami

Reaction score
Toilet tank fills in intermittent spurts.

I have a Power Gravity Installation which worked perfectly until the toilet was lifted and resinstalled when the floor was retiled a couple of weeks ago. Now the tank fills in short intermittent spurts. It is a Toto 6.0Lpf and takes about 10 to 11 spurts of water to fill the tank to about a third of the way up. Previously the tank would fill very quickly without stopping. Now the pump starts/stops/starts/stops until the water is up to the proper level. I have tried wiggling the pump in the tank but it makes no difference. If I use my hand to put a little pressure on the top of the pump it will work properly but once I take my hand away and reflush the intermittent filling is back. I'm not a plumber and not particularly mechanical but would like to try fixing myself since it just feels like something needs to be tweaked.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Inside of the flush valve there's a float. There could be some crud in there that is inhibiting the movement of the float. Also, there could be some crud in the seal, which is easily replaceable for a few dollars (available at Lowes and many hardware stores).

orion24

Reaction score
Drake Toilet Dripping into Tube

My 5 year old drake toilet is dripping from from the black tube (from the fill valve) down into the tube connected to the flapper assembly. The water level is just up to the level of the tube after refilling. Is there an adjustment or do I need a new fill valve?

Many thanks and Happy New Year.

-orion24

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The fact that the water level is at the top of the overflow usually means that the fill valve is failing to turn off completely. Assuming it used to fill correctly, there is no adjustment, but the seal on that fill valve is easily replaced.

korky_cap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cookn

Reaction score
Toto fill valve repair

I have a Toto Carlyle (circa 2001) with the Gmax fill valve, that is failing. Will a Korky replacement cap work on the Toto version of the fill valve? I can't seem to find a Toto branded replacement, just a new fill valve (white screw style) that doesn't seem to be favored on these forums.

Jim98311

Reaction score
Same Question, different model

I have an Ultramax with the TSU18A fill valve, which is no longer fully filling the bowl. We have some sediment in our water and I suspect some debris is in the valve. Is there any way to take the valve apart or clean it out? The tank fills fine, it's just the bowl that is the issue.

Or does this call for a complete fill valve replacement? And if so, is the Fluidmaster 400ARHR a good replacement?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've used the Korky MaxPerformance valve on the TOTO bowls. It has an adjustable bowl fill that the TOTO needs.
You can also use the Korky 528T

korky_max.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Assuming you have the Korky fill valve on your Toto, yes, the Korky replacement cap works and would be my first attempt rather than replacing the whole thing. While the one they make for Toto says Toto on it rather than Korky, they are shaped the same and take the same seal. Once you figure out how, it takes about a minute. While you've got it apart, check the screen and clean it if needed.

feeth

Reaction score
So if my toto looks like this on the inside (tsu25a), see the attached files. I can use what Terry has listed below?

I bought one of the $2.50 caps from Lowes and it appears they wont work.

TIA!

I've used the Korky MaxPerformance valve on the TOTO bowls. It has an adjustable bowl fill that the TOTO needs.
You can also use the Korky 528T

korky_max.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0894.jpg
    IMAG0894.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 631
  • IMAG0896.jpg
    IMAG0896.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 658

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Toto uses a couple of different fill valves, and the one you have is not made for them by Korky...sorry. As I understand it, that one is not repairable, and if it leaks, must be replaced. You do want one either made for Toto or one that is adjustable so that you don't waste water and get a good flush. Those made for Toto balance the bowl and tank refill so both just fill when the tank shuts off flow. Otherwise, you'll either end up with dumping excess bowl water down the drain, or not having enough water there so there's a lousy flush. Korky does make a generic adjustable valve that will work with any model and may be quicker to find than the custom one for Toto. That one has a little valve you adjust to balance the flow so both the tank and the bowl fill up at the same time...should only take a couple of minutes longer than a straight replacement to get it right after a couple of test flushes. I think there's a video on their website.

feeth

Reaction score
Toto uses a couple of different fill valves, and the one you have is not made for them by Korky...sorry. As I understand it, that one is not repairable, and if it leaks, must be replaced. You do want one either made for Toto or one that is adjustable so that you don't waste water and get a good flush. Those made for Toto balance the bowl and tank refill so both just fill when the tank shuts off flow. Otherwise, you'll either end up with dumping excess bowl water down the drain, or not having enough water there so there's a lousy flush. Korky does make a generic adjustable valve that will work with any model and may be quicker to find than the custom one for Toto. That one has a little valve you adjust to balance the flow so both the tank and the bowl fill up at the same time...should only take a couple of minutes longer than a straight replacement to get it right after a couple of test flushes. I think there's a video on their website.

Thank you Jim! I installed the above pictured korky valve and everything is all well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks