Venting a kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

jpiazza

Reaction score
Hi. I'm moving the sink in my kitchen to the other side of the room. There is a bathroom about 10 feet away with it's own dedicated drain and vent stack. Can I vent my new sink by going up to the ceiling, about a 6 foot rise, over to the existing sink, about 10 feet down to the existing vent, about 4 feet, and tie into it there. From there on it vents to the main stack. It will be tying into the vent above the top of the proposed sink. Thanks in advance.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I don't quite understand your vent. You're not proposing that your vent line go down (elevation) to tie into the other sink's vent are you? If so, that's not permissable.

jpiazza

Reaction score
Well sort of. It goes up first, then across then down to the bathroom sink's vent. There the bathroom sink vents to the main stack and out the roof.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The vent needs to be sloped up, not down. This will allow the sewer gases to escape and any condensation that may form in the vent will drain back into the sewer system.

jpiazza

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I don't think there will be a possibility for any condensation to build up as both ends of the vent will be leading directly to waste. So I just need to slope it one way or the other and find the right inspector. Thanks again.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Good point

We're ALL trying to find the RIGHT INSPECTOR !!! PLEEEEZE WHEN YOU FIND HER, SEND HER MY WAY :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
We had the first woman in OH to receive a Master Plumbers Lic. work in the inspection dept. of the county I worked in................she was fair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks