(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: AS Cadet 3 Question…

Default AS Cadet 3 Question…

Just installed an American Standard Cadet 3 based on some pretty good reviews from this site. Seems to work fine, but I do notice that the tank seems to rock a little. What I mean is it does not seem solid. I can grab the tank and push it forward and back unlike the other toilet I have in my basement that is very sold and does not move at all. Both have a 2” space between the tank and the wall behind. Went to my parents house and theirs is solid as well. The bolts connecting the two are very tight. It’s to the point that I’m afraid if it tighten too much further it will crack the porcelain. Is this the way this model is supposed to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney1
    Just installed an American Standard Cadet 3 based on some pretty good reviews from this site. Seems to work fine, but I do notice that the tank seems to rock a little. What I mean is it does not seem solid. I can grab the tank and push it forward and back unlike the other toilet I have in my basement that is very sold and does not move at all. Both have a 2” space between the tank and the wall behind. Went to my parents house and theirs is solid as well. The bolts connecting the two are very tight. It’s to the point that I’m afraid if it tighten too much further it will crack the porcelain. Is this the way this model is supposed to be?

i just installed two... yes there seems to be some movement in the tanks... i was afraid to tighten down more as well... our house has all adults, so i don't think there will be any problem

also one of the toilets has the back almost snug with the wall..... i had a 10 inch rough in..and it really wasn't even 10" ...more like 9.5

...the toilets work great, so I am not complaining....

Default Terry If your out there….

Terry, will this kind of play be a problem with the toilet down the road? Is there something I can put between the tank and the wall to keep it from moving?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Many tanks have some movement.

If the bolts are snug, that's the main thing.

In my modest experience, tanks may seem to be "loose" when first assembled, but when filled with the weight of the water, become much more stable and satisfactory. It is not usually something to lose sleep over.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

I installed one last thursday and noticed the same. I wasn't about to crank it down to the bars though because that would of probably broke the toilet.

Putting something behind the tank would be a good idea; some users of toilets use that tank as a back rest and if you've ever seen the event where the heads snap off the tank to bowl bolts, it's ugly and most people panic when water goes everywhere.

Cadet 3 has a sloppy flush even though it will take anything you dump in it. I bought one per request at the owner's rental property needs,
    Last edited by Terry; 06-13-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.