offset flange , should it be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Tameria11

Reaction score
set on the rhinoboard floor or on top of the finished tile. I thought it should go on the floor before the tile, but than I read some where that this is incorrect I finally reciecved a ToTo Ultimate elongated,7 weeks!!! Please advise the best way to install an offset flange. We waited so long for the toilet to arrive we changed the layout of the bathroom and now I'm directly over a floor joist. :eek: Boy this is fun. The Ultimate looks great out of the box in our hall :) , can't wait till it's in the bathroom
Dave
offset_level_fit_flng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As indicated, it is best to have the flange bolted down to the top of the finished floor when you have the option when remodeling (or new). That way, if there is a leak, you aren't spilling crud in between the floor layers, you're more likely to notice it right away and mitigate long-term slow leak water damage.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

It really has nothing to do with a slow leak. Unless the flange is sealed to the floor, and few, if any, are, the slow leak will still get into the flooring. Putting it on top of the tile, creates the smallest void between the flange and the toilet so the wax ring has the greatest chance of making a good seal.

tilermike

Reaction score
Tile/Toilet Flange ?????

I have tiled my bathroom floor. I tiled up to where my flange will sit. When installed the flange will be screwed thru the backerboard and into the 3/4 inch plywood subfloor. The flange will rise about 1/8 inch or more above the tile surface. From everything I have read this is sufficient height to seal just fine. I didnt want to have to drill the porcelain tile for my 6 stainless steel mounting screws that will secure my flange to the subfloor.

Shouldnt this be fine??

Mike

Tameria11

Reaction score
tile guy says no

I justed talked wwith my tile guy and he said he always installs the flange on the floor before the finnished tile. Can you informed people advise me before I make another mistake. Will I be able to get a good enought seal. The tile is about1/4 thick porcelin
thank you so much.....
Dave

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be able to seal it either way.

One wax ring if the flange is over the tile, or if not,

Two wax rings would work,

raising the flanger with flange stackers,

using a fluidmaster waxless seal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks