Question about galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
Hi,

Is galvanized pipe suitable for underwater use. Would like to use galvanized piping because of how rigid it is. Thanks :D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes but copper may be a better choice depending on the application and install circumstances.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Under what water? galvanized pipe in the ground rusts from the outside. Galvanized pipe with water in it rusts from the inside. How long do you need it to last?

Willl

Reaction score
It is actually going to be run through a body of water. How long will that last? I suppose it will be rusting from both the inside and outside at a steady pace. How long does that last? ;) Thanks

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Depends on the water quality, how long does it need to last and what is it feeding.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe oxygen is necessary for metal to rust. If it is completely submerged, then I think it will outlast all of us.

CHH

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe oxygen is necessary for metal to rust. If it is completely submerged, then I think it will outlast all of us.

??? Are ya thinkin' that there's no dissolved oxygen in water ???

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
They often find shipwrecks that are very well preserved after hundreds of years, not to mention automobiles that people have dumped into Lakes, etc.. that have no rust on them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, but did you note how far down they are? Plus, at great depths, except over vents, it is very cold.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shipwrecks

If a few timbers and ballast rocks is "well preserved" then I guess the statement is correct. I suppose the Titanic is "well preserved" except for massive amounts of rust on it.

Willl

Reaction score
Is that a yes or a no. I am going to pipe it in the middle of a pond and have it come up to form a fountain. Would like galvanized pipe becuase it is so stiff. I could use pvc but really do want to use the galvanized piping. I think a good 20 years would be OK. Thanks:D

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
jadnashua said:
How do you think the fishes survive?

Gills are 30 times more efficient than lungs, as there is 30 times less oxygen in water than in the air.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Cast or Copper.

i just read that the pond will have a fountain in it. A fountain is an oxygenating tool. So the pond water will be as highly oxygenated as water can be. And the water will be moving too. Freshly oxygenated water moving across the pipe all the time. I conclude that galvanized steel will rust.

Check out the claims that Cast Iron forms a seal against further corrosion once its surface has corroded a little bit. Interesting claim made by manufacturers.

Check out copper, type K or L, to see whether it will be stiff enough and thick enough for you. A 2" diameter pipe is very strong.

What will be holding the fountain up? What is the mechanical support for the fountain? I think the need for stiffness may be overkill. Unless you were hoping the pipe itself would hold the fountain up.

David

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
deoxygenation.

jadnashua said:
Yes, but did you note how far down they are? Plus, at great depths, except over vents, it is very cold.
I guess you are saying that at great depths, water may have ZERO oxygen content. Right you are.

Even at the earth's surface, some shallow ponds are deoxygenated, and if there are any fish in them, they come to the water's surface to get oxygen. They breathe air across their gills.

David

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
What diameter size will it be and how long is the run to the fountain

Willl

Reaction score
Mechanical support is concrete. Run isn't that long. I will be running 2" flexible pvc to it then it changes to the 2" stiff material that is supported by concrete. I think you get the idea. I have no Idea where I am to find copper K or L. Maybe I will just go back to my original thought of just using pvc for it. It only needs to be about 4 foot high. Suppose I should mention one of the reasons why I wanted something so stiff was because there are mute swans in this pond. These are big powerful birds. I had another fountain in there that essential floated. I watched them hiss at, pounce on and flip over the thing. Didn't work. I guess they have an attitude. Thanks

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Type K and Type L copper are available at any "real" plumbing shop, Big Box stores may not stock it. However, it is my opinion that Schedule 80 PVC would work very well. Of course, over a long run, PVC would sag, but so would galvanized. You say the pipe will be supported, so PVC should work very well, and it will be a heck of a lot easier to install!

Willl

Reaction score
Why choose schedule 80 over schedule 40. Isn't schedule 40 more rigid than schedule 80. Thanks:cool:

R

Rancher

Verdeboy said:
Gills are 30 times more efficient than lungs, as there is 30 times less oxygen in water than in the air.
Is that why I can't breath underwater...

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks