(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Cement cure time?

Default Cement cure time?

How long does it take for ABS cement to cure? I put in drain pipes on Thurs/Fri and I can still smell something strong in the bathroom. It doesn't smell like sewer gas (no rotten egg smell.)

It hasn't been all that warm here (13C-17C) and I figured that smell should be gone by now...

Edit: I should add all I have for ventilation is the bathroom fan. I closed the bathroom door hoping the fan would suck the air out, but after a while I thought that fresh air can't get in then.
    Last edited by djqfr; 06-10-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The solvents in the cement are pretty strong, and depending on how much you put on, can linger for awhile. It probably helps if you are using the drain , too. that may wash away any surface stuff. Never used ABS, only PVC, but that can linger, too. If there is a trap, have you run water down the thing enough to fill the trap?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Yeah, I put water down to fill the trap.

It's a pretty strong smell, and the problem is compounded by only having a bathroom fan and not a window.

What clued me in on the smell is (of course) I got cement all over my hands and the smell was the same. The instructions on the cement can said use lots, so I did...