Thread or sweat for new Delta shower valve install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Designomatic

Reaction score
The Delta shower valve base is designed for either sweat or thread installation. My house is plumbed with copper pipe - should I use the thread fittings for installation or sweat it it? As a homeowner I am leery of heating the valve base to soldering temperature - even though it is obviously designed for it. :eek:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
sweat is best

Sweat is the best way to go...

just take the cartridge out of the body....
and solder the heck out of it...

the thread type seems to have a very nasty way of
comming back to bite you a few weeks or months later

usually its a
very tiny drip comming out of the threads

which usually turns into a very involved repair

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Agree

I agree with Master Plumber Mark. Plumbing codes in our area do not allow for ANY threaded fittings which are behind walls and have no available access. (Applies to any plumbing which is being updated.)

Solder away!

Netkroozer

Reaction score
Delta R10000-UNWS

I am roughing in a Delta model R10000-UNWS. It only seems to have threaded connections. Should I change it out for one that has an option to solder it in?

Thanks,
Net

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is highly likely that the valve is designed to allow you to insert a piece of pipe and solder it. Have you tried?

Netkroozer

Reaction score
That worked like a charm. Called Delta to confirm and they agreed it I can solder it in. I can save a few bucks now by not having to use threaded copper connections.:)

Awsome. Thanks!

Net

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
To sweat...or solder a Delta shower valve...the answer is simple....get a Symmons with pressure balancing cartridge.
I like Delta's faucets...most plumbers do...they're made smart...easy to maintain.
They're shower valves...just MY opinion...are flimsey, they tend to not last under heavy use (plastic parts inside)...I don't think they have any type of temperature control either, aside from a basic anti-scald.
Symmons makes their valves all brass, with built in balancing cartridges...also if you lose pressure on hot or cold it'll automatically balance it out...you won't get scalded..or frozen when the dishwasher kicks on.
Moen makes one too...but they cost an arm & a leg.
You'll be very surprized to see the price on a Symmons...I think Delta is the same or more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
balancing

ALL pressure balancing valves will shut off the flow to the active side if one water line is turned off and has no pressure. That is the definition of "pressure balancing".

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Try a "Pegasus" pressure balancing from HD...I did one, and that was the last one.
Roughed it in...tried it out and flushed it, then left it pressurized as you do on a rouigh so the GC knows if a nail has hit any water...2 weeks later the cartridge was ceased when I got back for the finish. HO admitted the water was very hard...but thats a bit extreme...machined too tight is my guess.

"Moentrol" is a good one, but pricey compared to it's counter-parts...I like Symmons for it's price and reliability-metal stem & parts overall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks