Offset Flange Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

cmhealy

Reaction score
So I am halfway through my bathroom remodel and I fannaly got to the toilet flange. I was planning on using an offset flange to move my toilet over a couple inches to accommodate a 24" vanity. This is a small bathroom! So I started to dig out around the flange to see what I had and the offset flange that I have won't work because of the depth. I have cast iron plumbing, and the toilet sits on top of a curved "Y". I dug out a good bit of the floor with the thought that maybe I could cut out some of the cast iron and use mission unions to tie in PVC parts to move the drain over altogether? I guess I am stuck as I am feeling a bit over my head at this point! Any help would be appreciated! Here are some pics:
I am trying to move the drain 2-3 inches over to the left

cmhealy-01.jpg

I am trying to move the drain 2-3 inches over to the left when you are looking at the pics. If I moved the whole drain, then I would likely move it back 2 inches as well because it is 14" off the wall now, because the was mud tile job before and I removed all of that.

cmhealy-02.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You are out of luck. That is not a proper drain connection in the first place, and there is no way to offset it in any direction, without making a serious piping revision. And even then it would be almost impossible to just move it a couple of inches.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most codes require 15" minimum to obstructions from the midline of a toilet. So, you might have to reconsider your choices of vanity. There are 14" roughin toilets, so that isn't a major problem. that doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to stick out any further than one designed for a 12" roughin, but can. In fact, you can use a 12" roughin, but then it would stick out more and have a gap behind. Sometimes, you just have to live with what you have. Course, if you want to spend enough and tear enough up, nearly anything can be done, but it may not be worth it.

cmhealy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'll be putting a new flange on and backfilling my mess!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks