Won't hold pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepek

Reaction score
I just redid my whole shallow well system. 4' drive point with 2" galvy pipe down 30'. Same location and depth as the old one. I put a new 42 gallon pressurize holding tank in and all new gauge's, pipe, check valve, elbos...etc.
I half a 1/2 hp goulds jet pump. I took the impeller housing apart and cleaned all the rust out. I replaced the impeller and the ceramic seal setup. Hooked it all up, primed it, pumped water, adjusted to 40-60 psi, tank has 38 psi when empty. Problem is that if the pump sits for 15 minutes. The pressure gauge remains at 60 psi....seems not to lose of pressure. I will turn the water on and the pump will kick on at 40 psi and will slowly start dropping pressure. By shutting off the water and letting it it repressurize, bleeding the air out with the faucet, the pressuse will build itself back to normal. Will run forever until I let it sit. Can't find any leaks. Maybe someting in the impeller housing? Any help appreciated.

ecpgroup

Reaction score
when you say it will run forever do you mean it wont cut out again?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did you install a new pressure switch and did you clean out the 1/4" pipe that it screws on to?

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like an undeveloped well or possibly a vacuum leak. How many and what type of fittings are between the well head and the suction end of the pump? Did you develop this well prior to plumbing in the pump and tank. How much water does the well produce? What is the water depth depth in the well?

SAM

Speedbump

Reaction score
Problem is that if the pump sits for 15 minutes. The pressure gauge remains at 60 psi....seems not to lose of pressure. I will turn the water on and the pump will kick on at 40 psi and will slowly start dropping pressure. By shutting off the water and letting it it repressurize, bleeding the air out with the faucet, the pressuse will build itself back to normal. Will run forever until I let it sit.

In one statement you said it pumped up to 60 psi. Then you say it runs forever until you let it sit. What do you mean by that?

Answer Sammys questions too, they are important.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks