(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draining Tank Lots Sediment!

At this point, I will deal with the sound. I would be nervous about a leak forming from the cleaner and putting harmful substances into the domestic water system.

I am wondering if there is a way to test a T&P valve without ruining it? I tested the one on this tank (opened it) and when I refilled the tank it was hissing, so I ended up replacing it.

TIA,
    Molo

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Just like your tank, the fittings on the T&P valve can get coated with calcium and whatever else is depositing out in your tank. Then, when you open it, you scrape off some of that on the stem, but it sticks a little, not reseating. If there is a large accumulation, it's worse. You can try to remember to open it on a regular basis, and that will help, but you'll still end up replacing it occasionally. At least then, though, you'd know if it was too gummed up to operate and unsafe.

Sounds like a water softener might be a good addition.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Same tank...
    More problems

I drained it, and cleaned with a rod the bottom of the tank the best I could. It still is loud, AND whenever the cold or hot is turned on there is air that sprays out of the faucets. The tank rumbles even when the cold is on. It seems like it might be an air problem, but I'm not sure what to do.

TIA,
    Molo

Replace the tank as was suggested many posts ago.

You are fighting a losing battle.

Can anyone explain what is causing the air spraying out of the hot and cold faucets for a few seconds before the water hits the faucet when they are turned on, also the rumbling occurs when the cold is on as well, so that seems to rule out the possibility of heat causing the rumbling sound, if the heat burners aren't on and the rumbling is still occuring, that's why I'm wondering if it's more of an air problem?

TIA,
    Molo
    Last edited by molo; 07-10-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by molo
    Can anyone explain what is causing the air spraying out of the hot and cold faucets for a few seconds before the water hits the faucet when they are turned on, also the rumbling occurs when the cold is on as well, so that seems to rule out the possibility of heat causing the rumbling sound, if the heat burners aren't on and the rumbling is still occuring, that's why I'm wondering if it's more of an air problem?

TIA,
    Molo

Has anyone heard of this?

TIA,
    Molo

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Is your supply coming from a well with a pump that could be gasping for water?

Plumbing Instructor Plumb or Die's Avatar

Default Oh dear.....

I once replaced a gas fired hot water tank that had sympyoms like this. With the addition of steam coming out of the b-vent. The temp/pressure relief valve had plugged solid, and the water was actually boiling in the tank. The heat exchanger was pooched (CO2 poisoning) and the tank was starting to seep a bit. Somebody had also done some creative wiring so the high limit aquastat had been jumpered.

Replace your tank immediately. No home owner, or tradesman for that matter should be trying to nurse this sick tank back to health.
    I like plumbing. Plumbing's my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumb or Die
    I once replaced a gas fired hot water tank that had sympyoms like this. With the addition of steam coming out of the b-vent. The temp/pressure relief valve had plugged solid, and the water was actually boiling in the tank. The heat exchanger was pooched (CO2 poisoning) and the tank was starting to seep a bit. Somebody had also done some creative wiring so the high limit aquastat had been jumpered.

Replace your tank immediately. No home owner, or tradesman for that matter should be trying to nurse this sick tank back to health.
    150% agreed
    I'd have run out of the house on that heater and killed the gas main.
    I can't believe some of the things I see.
    Trying to salvage a car with a rotted frame by replacing the tires, brakes and giving it a paint job won't stop it from falling apart on the highway.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

The tank burner is turning on and off as it should. It is not hot air (steam) coming out of the faucets. Also, it's not as if the water is piping hot, I don't believe there is an overheat problem. Also, the TP valve was just checked a couple of weeks ago.
    Symptoms:
    1. There is air that sprays out of the faucets for a few seconds
    2. Pipes bang hard when water is turned on.

Can anyone help me to understand what is going on here?

TIA,
    Molo
    Last edited by molo; 07-12-2007 at 08:53 PM.