(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water service line from street...

Default Water service line from street...

I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options?

It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip fitting (not sure if that's the right name for it) on one end and a 3/4" NPT on the other copper fitting with two hose clamps!!! (Yikes??!?).

(I won't even tell you that the power was grounded to this mess.)

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPete
    I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options?

It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip fitting (not sure if that's the right name for it) on one end and a 3/4" NPT on the other copper fitting with two hose clamps!!! (Yikes??!?).

(I won't even tell you that the power was grounded to this mess.)

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like whats called a "ford" fitting, I could be wrong...also...the power is supposed to be grounded on the water main.
    "The biggest regrets we have in life are the chances we never took."

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPlumber
    Sounds like whats called a "ford" fitting, I could be wrong...also...the power is supposed to be grounded on the water main.
    I don't know about the fitting name, but I *do* know that the power is NOT suppose to grounded on the water main when the main isn't metal!!! It is suppose to be on a rod/acorn set-up. That much I *do* know.

Now... back to figuring out what I got.

Sounds like an insert (barbed) fitting on the end of that poly.
    --Customers of plumbers: Never be afraid to ask for proof of licensure of the plumber servicing your equipment. A licensed plumber will be proud to show you his personal license.--