Job Opportunity

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
"IF" I wanted it, the HD in my area is now hiring professionals that are licensed in their profession to be the go-to guy for all questions relating to plumbing/electrical.

$50,000.00 a year salary, 40-50 hours a week, benefits.

I've been asked if I would be interested and turned it down. Can't stand on concrete all day and I'd rather be doing plumbing.....not talking about it. I could probably pull work out of there but I already have 3 of them and the dept. head sending me calls out of there.

I heard this is coming from regional and all HD's are going to follow this procedure to give the customer base the knowledge they so want when they come in there wanting to do stuff wrong, intentionally sometimes.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if they catch you doing side jobs, or in any way soliciting personal work, or referring work.....HD bans any referrals to contractors except their own installers.......they fire you on the spot.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
20266-1.jpg

I'll put My 1911 in My mouth, before I wear an orange apron !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
That may be but you like their Rid/gid power tools acording to your avatar, at least they look like Rid/gid from here.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you should take it.

I say that due to your age and future ability to do plumbing with your body/health problems. You can wear a back brace and get good shoes/boots that protect your back from the cement floor. And don't constantly stand still, walk your aisles and lean on a cart to rest every 30 minutes for just a minute or three or with a foot up on a shelf etc. periodically 'before' you get a back ache.

Increase your stomach muscle strength with exercises. Weak stomach muscles are the primary cause of back problems; especially after a back injury.

Otherwise you best come up with a solid plan to replace the lost referrals you get from there now. That means more advertising and marketing, and/or hiring helpers and getting another stocked vehicle for the helper blah blah blah. And as soon as HD does this, be prepared for Lowe's to follow.

I see B I G bucks lost ($40-50k) and you spending more on the plan so you can do plumbing instead of talk about it for $40-50k/yr plus benefits like health insurance and retirement (plus increased social security contributions that you don't have to fund 100% as you do now). I count like 100k over just the next year for you to stay where you are physically and financially, and that's only with more advertising and marketing without not any cost for a helper....

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
What ????

Cass The avatar Is nice , but I didn't choose it ,or put it there. Is H D the only place to buy Ridgid ? I buy lumber,but don't work for a L. yard. Don't see any logic here, pal! :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ridgid power tools ( not plumbing tools) are a HD exclusive items. Note that the general power tool line has no relation whatever to the plumbing tools from Ridge Tool Company. They license the name only.

Ridgid shop vacs are made by Emerson. Drills and compressors are made by One World Technologies. You can guess "which" world they refer to, and I assure you the number is not "1"/

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Jimbo I did not know that and it is good to know.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I would rather clean septic tanks....

I had a plumber quit me and go to work for
Lowes one time......

lasted about 4 months........he claimed that the customers
were the biggest problem he had to deal with

many were rude and some outright nasty to him.....

and of course ...the customer is always right...

even when they were clearly .......not sober...........

I could control my mouth for about a week...maybe

a plumber has got to run freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'll become a plumbing inspector before I'd go to HD. Government job is more secure by far.

My beef would be transferred to another county. Some of those guys have to travel 200 miles a day and I'm not doing that. I can't ride around in a small car and I hate driving. Like a idiot, I'm driving an hour each way to replace a water heater this morning but @ $90/hour and $30 fuel charge, it was feasible. I double material costs as well to pad the effort. :eek: :D

The guy couldn't find anyone reasonable.....one company was going to charge him $2 a inch for copper pipe replacement. I was like deeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaammmm!!!!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
All the plumbing inspectors I know with one exception, were plumbers who couldn't make it as a plumber.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
plumbing inspectors

usually it is a political position in this county....

many know very little about plumbing, and are often

times realted to someone in power somewhere....

it would not bother me one bit to be one,
it would be far mor eful-filling and
better to be amonghst the plumbers in the field
than working for Lowes and having to answer fool questions all day long.

either way I dont think I could take the cut in pay....

Cookie

Reaction score
Here is my take on what you have all been talking about with HD, and places like it. The salespeople should have at least a working knowledge of the product. How can they not? I remember years ago, I was a buyer for a sportswear dept, at a major dept. store, and I lasted one season. lol. REASON being, I did not know our merchandise. Think about it. I was very young and very stupid.

My husband and I used to go into those places to buy something for the house, and usually, my husband didn't have any questions, but, usually, when he did, they usually, didn't have the answers. Boy, it would be nice, since he is gone, and, I am as green as green can be, that, I could walk into one of those places and describe what I need, and the salesperson, has enough of knowledge to know his products well enough, to know what I am talking about. Some things, I can easily carry in, for like show & tell, but, sometimes, due to its size, I can't. So, I am really at a loss. I walk 'round and 'round looking and looking.

It would be so nice to have real plumbers working in those dept. I think, it would be a great job for a retired plumber. It would be a great asset for the customers like me. I am not asking, that they fix my problems, just lead me down the path to the products I do need. There has been so many times, I thought I was buying the right thing, usually, I will return things, but, sometimes, I don't have the time nor the desire to, so, I am accumlating, a little workshop of my own.

Those places should really pay more, for someone with the expertise to be able to really sell there products. They should train them, or give them some kind of working knowledge of what they are selling for God's sake. I have actually stopped asking them for help. I usually, refrain these days from asking for anything in those places, because, they just don't know. If I find, an older man, I sometimes, will take the chance.

Our HD, recently just installed a self-check out by the way. I refuse to use it, I even told the saleperson, these are to keep your wages down, the work force least amount possible; and, virtually, makes the customer work, and even pay for the it. Not me, I do not work for free, for big corporations.

It would be nice to shop at HD and places like it, if they had real skilled employees.

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
skilled people at HD

Cookie.....

you would not believe how many times someone from
HD or lowes has led people astray...and you have to do damage control when you arrive.....

very few people that have done this kind of work
cold afford to take less than they could make as an
6 month apprentice..

chairty only goes so far...

the funny thing is mos t fellows that work in
those places have not got a clue, but act like they do

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I love my profession too much

to stop what I'm doing......at least for now. That job I did today turned out to be a $925 job......between the drain cleaning and replacing the water heater. Customer opted for PRV and EXP tank after the ruptured tank was clearly a sign of what the gauge was not showing at 70psi.

After the water was shut off to the tank, it went to 94.

It looky real good now! It was one of those houses that was so dirty that you have shortness of breath walking through the door, and the water heater replacement makes the rest of the house, look worse.

This customer waited months........months to hire a plumber. Clogged drains.........kitchen sink and bathroom lav, over 3 months. Water heater? Been leaking for over 8 months......customer was using 13,000 gallons of water a month. :eek: :confused:

He bought the water heater AND 50' of copper pipe over 6 months ago and his mother finally demanded that they stop washing dishes in the tub and taking 4 minute showers, maybe depending on how many minutes of hot water was available.

I can't even imagine how much money was spent between the electric and water demands of that water heater leaking like that for so long.

I can bet anything..........it probably paid for the plumber 3 times over.........just in a monthly charge instead of a flat fee.

Charge it! $$$

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yeah I think you should become an inspector IF you can't get into HD. Government employee, salary, benefits and a pickup probably.

You only have so much time, and really, how many days do you have like yesterday? And do you really enjoy gouging poor and possibly mentally challenged people?

Cookie

Reaction score
Mark, I was really talking about maybe, plumbers, who are retired. Those who want to work a few hours, and not as a bag boy at the local grocer.
I think those types of jobs would be great for them. Or even maybe, I say maybe, those who are starting out, but maybe, can't find something. Even someone who is new at plumbing would be a site better than someone who knows nothing at all. Charity? Sure it only goes so far, but, under those 2 circumstances, it might be good all the way around. For the plumber who is retired, or maybe, the newbe, and for the customer. Unless, I am wrong, I think, that would work out well.

Plus, those older retired men, would love to get away a few hours a week, I bet from there older, wiser wives, lol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks