Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Retired plumbers....

I suppose its a better choice than working as a greeter
at WALL MART.... though I doubt it would work out for most

Cookie.... you haveprobably never been around retired plumbers....

From my experience with quite a number of them.

most of them are blunt and cuss like sailors, spit tobacco, or smoke old stogies....
adamantely refuse to dress up nice ...shave, ect ect....
and most have very little patience to put up with anybody..

its got something to do with the job..
I dont know maybe its just ..... a guy thing

and as the old saying goes.....

old plumbers never die......
they just smell that way....

again .....a plumber has got to run freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Mark,

When, I am at HD shopping for a needful thing, it ain't a husband. So, I don't care if the salesman there smells, curses, or picks his nose, as long as, I get the correct item, in the shortest amount of time. :) By the way, have you ever noticed the gardenia smell on older, wiser women; underneath it aint' comin up roses. :eek:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
kordts said:
Gary,
how was that gouging? That seems pretty cheap to me.

It actually was cheap.

7.5 hours billable

1 hour down, 1 hour back
Gave the first hour of my time away to a senior citizen discount Total time involved >>> 10.5 hours
Bought their lunch (hoagies and 2-litre of Coke)
Made sure they knew that I forgot to charge them for a couple minor items (bricks/cable ties)

Materials were around $206, markup of course.

I make a point to buy the customer lunch when I know without a doubt the bill is going to be significant.

I was told that I was the first plumber to ever offer to buy lunch for them, first plumber ever to ask if they wanted the general area cleaned on the two drains (kitchen sink/lavatory sink)

That stellar performance (to them) shames all the other plumbers that were there before me, and has this customer in future repairs calling me, paying more per hour because they know the reputation stands for good quality workmanship.

And gary,

Thanks for all the customers I send to your site that have water treatment questions. None of them lead to sales *they buy the materials locally for me to install* so thanks for the plausible effort on your part. A common bond of helping for the good of others in similar ways that I do.

I will say though, you're good and make my work simplistic when I have to install it. Almost like you laid a blueprint out for me to follow. GOOD LUCK

TAAT003.jpg

I tried to talk the guy out of going with a Flotec bladder tank but it was cheaper, that whole house water filter leaks at the threads, *second one, both leak*, and he went with a meyers submersible pump. Low-pressure cutoff switch, Franklin control box. ***You recommended different products, either you or speedbump, can't remember***

Jobs like these I do the wiring as well from the pump to the control box, to the switch and back to the panel.

You gary are my friend!!!!

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yeah well straighten yourself out. A teacher is only as good as the pupil and your screw ups make me look bad.

You're playing around with CHEAP big box store brand disposable cartridge filters and installing them on ONLY the cold feed line to the water heater!! I DID NOT teach you to do THAT! You or your customer is not getting that silliness from visiting MY web site.

Also, that filter in your picture, it must be removed to set the softener there, so you're suffering short sightedness when originally selling and installing them. IF they need a filter, use a real filter AND don't filter only the cold feed water to the heater!!

You also need to relearn how to install a pressure tank. Along the same line, two wire is much better for the customer than a three wire pump.

And all that hot and cold copper from the PEX with the over sized holes in the joists! What is with that? It is sloppy and there's no call for all that expensive hard to install and much more time wasting copper. Plus the exp tank is back where it will be hell to get out to replace it when it goes and it's full of water....

I've seen other pictures of your filter installs and because of the way you install them you take way too long then the gouge is even deeper.

I'm glad to help, although I have difficulty understanding exactly what you are saying. It's not my ears... you need to work on improving your communications skills. Doing so will increase your total sales and decrease your customer acquisition costs (that makes you more money). Plus doing so will help you at HD or in the corp of inspectors political pit.

Although I admire the kiss up lunch gesture, quit with the high fat cheap hoagies and sugar laden soda!! Or better yet, put on an annual customer appreciation season appropriate party like a summer time real pork or beef BBQ or end of year thing.

Hint.... ham handed hands over tightening the in/out fittings of filter housings are the primary cause of leaks...

I still say HD is your best bet. Well as long as you aren't going to learn water treatment.

BTW, you're welcome. I've been 'here' since 1997 to help anyone that can use my posts to learn whatever. IOWs, I give with no expectation and before I get anything in return (and the return is substantial and I'm very greatfull for it). That's a bit different than getting the "significant" priced job and then buying a hoagie and soda. And I've been doing $250K a year with nothing more than a phone and internet connection..... If you can find it, there's an important message in there. Take it and your customer pleasing to HD and your income will be unlimited. Much unlike a political government job will be with your present all ya can get money first attitudes. IOWs, sometimes you must leave go the rope that's taking you to deeper water, to be able to swim to shore on your own. You took the first step when you left the union, now (as you know) it's time to put the next foot down.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Since you're off today, probably from the back and knees aches from the Sat job or lack of business (caused by nice weather and DIYers), get over to HD and pick up the papers to apply for the position.

Fill them out honestly and sit on them until like Friday noon. If by then you have not cleared this week, before taxes, after cost of goods sold, $1100 (that's 50000/52=961.53 + benefits of say $150/wk [health ins retirement etc.]), then go turn the papers in to the manager you get leads from.

Check for their decision once a week and visit the store at least once per wk asking about when you can start. Read everything you can find about HD from when they first started in business. Tell these folks how you want to straighten out these DIYers with their plumbing and electrical projects and grow HD sales and help train new HD plumbing employees with your experience and knowledge of local codes. I bet in 6 months you're a supervisor with a choice of company vehicle.

Cookie

Reaction score
A wedding? I am in the mood for a wedding, as long as it's not mine;
I just wouldn't know what to bring to there's, maybe, matching his and his plungers?? ;) :)

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
H J I fired expert in the U S MC WITH IT, BUT

I hired an instructor for My wife at the range. I only wish I could do as well as Her. Never will !

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Yeah I wouldn't listen when I was your age either and then found that the entertainment factor wears off slowly over years. It's kinda like the frog in the pan of water being heated on the stove on the lowest setting.... It builds up and one day **it happens and there ya are with worn and blown parts, tired, run down over weight and constipated miserable looking for a job, any job.

Now that didn't happen to me because I'm tall slim and prettier'n you but, out of my love for you and wanting you to be happy... no more changing the subject like some girl friend, get up and go to HD today between those piddlin' little service calls and get the papers! You know MOM would agree with me so git'er done son.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks