(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Venting a kitchen sink

Default Venting a kitchen sink

Hi. I'm moving the sink in my kitchen to the other side of the room. There is a bathroom about 10 feet away with it's own dedicated drain and vent stack. Can I vent my new sink by going up to the ceiling, about a 6 foot rise, over to the existing sink, about 10 feet down to the existing vent, about 4 feet, and tie into it there. From there on it vents to the main stack. It will be tying into the vent above the top of the proposed sink. Thanks in advance.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

I don't quite understand your vent. You're not proposing that your vent line go down (elevation) to tie into the other sink's vent are you? If so, that's not permissable.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Well sort of. It goes up first, then across then down to the bathroom sink's vent. There the bathroom sink vents to the main stack and out the roof.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

The vent needs to be sloped up, not down. This will allow the sewer gases to escape and any condensation that may form in the vent will drain back into the sewer system.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

All vents must slowly rise towards the vent stack. What you are proposing will build what is similar to that of a trap.

Moisture collection from damp sewer gases along with rainfall accumulations will fill that low spot with no way to drain out. Basically eliminating the vent.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Default vent

It will work as long as condensation can drain out of either end of the horizontal section, although most inspectors would reject it.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think there will be a possibility for any condensation to build up as both ends of the vent will be leading directly to waste. So I just need to slope it one way or the other and find the right inspector. Thanks again.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Thumbs up Good point

We're ALL trying to find the RIGHT INSPECTOR !!! PLEEEEZE WHEN YOU FIND HER, SEND HER MY WAY

We had the first woman in OH to receive a Master Plumbers Lic. work in the inspection dept. of the county I worked in................she was fair.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

That's interesting , She said " You were GREAT "