How make jacuzzi jets harder?

Users who are viewing this thread

ezwriter

Reaction score
We just moved into place with inground pool and attached jacuzzi. The jets were getting softer so I took apart whole pool filter and cleaned it. The jets worked great! For about a week. Now they don't flow hard enough to really massage your back again...The pump still flows the same and i believe pump also runs the jets, no? (only one pump in system). Any ideas? Thanks in advance. kEN.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
ezwriter said:
We just moved into place with inground pool and attached jacuzzi. The jets were getting softer so I took apart whole pool filter and cleaned it. The jets worked great! For about a week. Now they don't flow hard enough to really massage your back again...The pump still flows the same and i believe pump also runs the jets, no? (only one pump in system). Any ideas? Thanks in advance. kEN.

For whatever reason, the flow must not be the same or the force would be the same.

The force in pounds applied by a jet of water coming out of a nozzle is equal to the mass flow rate in slugs per second times the velocity in feet per second.

If you prefer the metric system the force in Newtons is equal to the mass flow rate in kilograms per second times the velocity in meters per second.

For a constant area nozzle, the force is proportional to the square of the flow rate.

If the nozzles are adjustable, you might get more force if you close the nozzle to increase the velocity, much as you would if you throttled the nozzle on a hose. You get more force with the nozzle formed to a "jet" than you do with no nozzle. There is some point where the product of mass flow rate (slugs per second) and velocity (feet per second) is a maximum.

If you want more massage effect you are probably going to need a pump with more horsepower to increase both the pressure and the flow.

You will also get more force if you shut off any other devices that take flow from the pump, such as addiotional nozzles of sprays.

Apologies to those on this forum who criticize engineers, but science and engineering are necessary to understand even simple things like water jet massages.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

Also common sense. If the output is lessened, either the flow is being compromised by the filter, or the pump output is reduced because it is worn or obstructed.

ezwriter

Reaction score
spa jets

Thanks for the replies. I took apart the pool filter and the leaves were clogged with DE . I guess i put in too much DE a month ago when I cleaned it! i only put in about a cup but when put it all together the jets worked pretty well again. Theres actually no jets, just a pipe where the bubbles come out so its not a real Jacuzzi I'm told.
This time i just sprinked about 1/2 cup of DE on the filter 'leaves' themselves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks